Samsung America has launched a new 28-inch 4K monitor. The Samsung UD590 is capable of supporting one billion colours and offers a one-millisecond response time. The South Korean electronics giant says that this new monitor offers the ultimate viewing experience for photo enthusiasts and visual professionals, such as graphic designers and architects.
"Samsung is a worldwide leader in display technology renowned for our UHD 4K TVs. The UD590 brings that UHD 4K technology to our monitor line up, offering unparalleled imagery right at your desk," said Ron Gazzola, VP of Consumer IT Marketing at Samsung Electronics America. He added that this is one of several high performing monitors Samsung is launching for consumers this year.
Headline specs and features of the UD590 include:
- Screen size diagonal is 28-inches (70.8cm)
- Display resolution is 3840x2160
- 370 cd/m² brightness rating and a 1000:1 contrast ratio
- 1 billion colours using a TN panel – dithering likely
- 1ms grey-to-grey response time offering "no lag during gaming"
- Dual HDMI 1.4 connectors (UHD 30Hz) plus a single DisplayPort 1.2 connector (UHD 60Hz) + headphone jack
- UHD Upscaling "brings all your entertainment and other content up to a new UHD-level"
- Picture-in-Picture 2.0 technology
- Game Mode – single button activation
- Minimal metallic frame design with tilt stand function
One of the most attractive aspects of this new Samsung monitor though, might be its price. At $699.99, available for pre-order on Amazon now with estimated delivery of 18th April, it undercuts much of the UHD monitor competition.
While the design is nice and minimalist, the stand and mounting options are unpleasantly minimalist. Firstly the stand offers only tilt adjustment. That wouldn't be so bad but it doesn't employ a standard VESA attachment so you can't use a third party stand.