Samsung revealed the latest Galaxy Note at IFA, Berlin. The Galaxy Note 3 has a larger screen than its predecessor yet its footprint is smaller and the device is thinner and lighter. Alongside a wide range of hardware bumps and improvements Samsung has also refined the S Pen and brought more custom software features to make the most out of the big screen and stylus combination.
Introducing the new 5.7-inch screened phablet Samsung’s JK Shin said “Samsung GALAXY Note 3 is a powerful, original approach that enables users to tell the stories of their lives through dynamic and seamless expressions of their passions across work, play and life experiences. With a simple click of the S Pen button, users can unlock opportunities for self-expression, features that transform everyday activities into extraordinary events and access to new experiences delivered to them on Note 3’s larger screen.”
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 key hardware specifications
- Display: 5.7-inch (144.3mm) Full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080)
- Processor: LTE 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor or 3G Octa Core Processor (1.9GHz Quad + 1.3GHz Quad) dependent upon market
- Memory: 3GB of RAM and 32 or 64GB of built-in storage
- Cameras: Main(Rear) : 13 Mega-pixel BSI Sensor, Auto Focus camera with Smart Stabilization, LED Flash(High CRI), and Zero Shutter Lag. Sub (Front) : 2 Mega-pixel BSI sensor with Smart Stabilization, Full HD recording @30fps
- Connectivity: LTE or 3G as above plus WiFi 802.11 a/ b/ g/ n/ ac (HT80), GPS / GLONASS, NFC, Bluetooth® v 4.0 (LE), IR LED (Remote Control), MHL 2.0
- Sensors: Gesture, Accelerometer, Geo-magnetic, Gyroscope, RGB, Proximity, Barometer, Temperature & Humidity, Hall Sensor
- Battery: Li-ion 3,200 mAh
- OS: Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean)
- Physical properties: 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3mm, 168g
New software features present on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 focus heavily on the utility of the S Pen accessory. Air Command is a pop-up palette wheel of features and commands for the S Pen. It appears when you hover the pen nib above the screen, and then you click to activate one of five useful everyday commands. Action Memo turns your handwritten notes into actions; scrawled phone numbers, contacts, addresses and more can be read by the system. Scrap Book allows users to collect media and content displayed on the screen into a scrap book, simply ‘lasso’ it with the pen and store and organise it. Screen Write lets you take a screenshot and write on it; great for adding personal quick notes to web pages, photos and maps to share with friends and co-workers. S Finder allows you to write and search your device for content using keywords and filters. There are other software tweaks and improvements beyond these headline additions including an expanded set of features for the well known S Note app.
The new device has not just been upgraded in technological terms but “delivers a new premium look and feel” with its soft and textured-touch back cover and “delicate stitching”. This classic styling was decided upon because it “evokes a connection to the timeless and enduring strengths of classic notebooks and planners,” the company said.
The Galaxy Note 3 will be available globally starting from 25th September in three colours - jet black, classic white and blush pink. You can see the new colourful range of windowed accessory flip covers pictured above.