Samsung has announced the Galaxy S4 Mini, “a powerful yet compact version of Samsung’s bestselling smartphone”. The official line is that this ‘mini’ smartphone “delivers the superior performance, intuitive ease-of-use and sleek design of the GALAXY S4 in a highly portable, chic and compact design”. However is a handset with a 4.3-inch screen compact? Also quite a few cuts to the spec have been made to the S4 Mini in comparison with its big brother.
In a statement Simon Stanford, VP of IT & Mobile Division, Samsung Electronics UK & Ireland said: “Demand for the Galaxy S4 has been phenomenal since it launched in April and we hope to build on this success with the Galaxy S4 Mini. This new handset is the ideal smartphone companion for anyone who wants a compact device packed with innovation.”
Let’s have a look at all the specs that have been revealed today among Samsung’s blurb:
- Screen: 4.3” qHD 16:9 Super AMOLED display
- Processor: 1.7GHz dual core processor
- Memory and storage: 1.5GB of RAM, 8GB internal memory (with 5GB free) + microSD up to 64GB
- Cameras: 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and 1.9-megapixel HD front-facing camera
- Sensors: Accelerometer, light, proximity, gyro, digital compass
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, GPS + GLONASS, Bluetooth 4.0, IR LED and NFC (in LTE version only)
- Cellular: support for “4G LTE, or 3G HSPA+ or 3G Dual SIM, will be determined by market”
- Battery: 1,900mAh
- Physical properties: 124.6 x 61.3 x 8.94mm, 107g
- OS: Android 4.2.2
- Colours: White Frost or Black Mist
- For further specs go to the official S4 Mini spec page here.
On the software side of things, to live up to its billing, the Galaxy S4 Mini does of course share the applications suite of its big brother. The “S4 Experience” includes such things as ‘S Health’, ‘S Translator’ and ‘Group Play’, now available in this more compact form factor.
The details of the 1.7GHz dual-core processor are yet to be fleshed out, possibly because it could vary by market, along with the cellular wireless specs, similar to its big brother. However the Inquirer thinks it will be a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor.
It is thought that this Galaxy S4 Mini was going to be announced at the London Galaxy & Ativ event on 20th June but Samsung seems to have decided to show us this handset early following many leaks. People will be able to go hands-on with the S4 Mini at the London event we are told. Phones4u has confirmed it will stock this new smartphone when it becomes available in July.