Today MSI launched the Nightblade barebones system. The target market for this foundation system is gamers and as such MSI has equipped this barebones with components such as "the highly appraised MSI GAMING motherboard series, a 600W PSU, a high-speed Dragon casefan and equipped with MSI's OC Genie functionality". Also despite its small stature and portability there is room in the Nightblade for a graphics card up to a length of 290mm and a thickness of 35mm.
The MSI Nightblade is a Mini-ITX form factor barebone that can accommodate a two-slot full-ATX-size graphics card such as the MSI R9 290X. The chassis can accommodate two SSDs, an HDD and even a slot-style optical drive.
Looking at the design, MSI has built a carry handle onto the Nightblade which thoughtfully "helps gamers to easily carry the Nightblade from one LAN-event to the next". The chassis is also made to be easy to assemble and fit in your choice of components. Red LED lighting graces the case when it is powered up and this effect intensifies when overclocked. No complicated software or case opening is required for overclocking, says MSI, just prod the OC Genie button on the front.
Cooling in this portable system is catered for by MSI's Dragon Case Fan which can hit 3,600 RPM in "extreme circumstances". There are two internal fans as standard and an optional third with optimised airflow helped by four air vents.
MSI Nightblade technical specifications
- CPU Configuration: Support Intel 4th Gen CPU
- Motherboard: MSI Z87I GAMING NIGHTBLADE
- CPU Cooler: Tower Cooler 3800RPM (optional) - support up to 113W overclock
- VGA Controller: Support Dual Slot, max 290mm length (eg. R9 290X or 780Ti)
- Memory: Support up to DDR3 3000MHz, 16GB
- Audio: 7.1 Channel HD Audio - Audio Boost & SoundBlaster
- LAN (RJ45): E2200 Killer Gigabit LAN
- Wireless LAN: Intel Wireless-AC 7260, 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Rear I/O: 1 x e-SATA, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI, 1 x Display Port, 1 x S/PDIF, 1 x PS/2, 1 x Clear CMOS Button, 2 x Antenna Connectors, 6 x OFC Audio Jacks
- Internal I/O: 1 x ATX 24-Pin, 1 x 8-Pin ATX 12V, 5 x SATA 6GB/s, 1 x Clear CMOS
- USB Support: Rear: 2 x USB 2.0, 4 x USB 3.0 / Front: 2 x USB3.0, 2x USB2.0
- HDD/SSD: Support 1 x 3.5” / 2 x 2.5” (2 x mSATA in one 2.5”)
- ODD: Slim Type Slot-in (optional)
- System Fan: Rear: 92mm 3600RPM, Side: 120mm 4000RPM (option for R9)
- Power Supply: 600W. Power Efficiency Level: 80 PLUS GOLD
- Dimensions: 345.8 x 277.3 x 175.7mm, capacity of 16 litres
- Weight: 7.8KG
MSI says that its Nightblade barebones system will be available worldwide from the second week in March shortly after it is unveiled publically at CeBIT 2014. Unfortunately we haven't been given any pricing indications.