ASRock has updated its range of DeskMini GTX/RX barebones PC systems. As noticed by TechPowerUp, these updated compact (2.7 litre) systems now support Intel's 8th generation (Coffee Lake) Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium / Celeron Processors (Socket 1151).
These powerful little systems (213 x 154.5 x 81.9mm) are based around the new ASRock Z370M-STX MXM motherboard. This is slightly longer (+2-inches) than a standard mini-ITX form-factor board in order to accommodate a PCIe gen 3.0 MXM slot, plus a further two M.2 slots.
When you buy an ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX system you decide upon one of three MXM discrete GPUs at that time. Current choices are between the GTX 1060 3GB, GTX 1080, and the RX 580 8GB MXM module. As a barebone, you then of course have to complete the system by supplying your own CPU, memory, storage, and OS (the system is Windows 10 64-bit compliant).
For your consideration, I've summarised the full specs of an ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX system below:
- CPU: Supports Intel 8th Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium / Celeron Processors (Socket 1151) (Max. TDP 65W)
- Chipset: Intel Z370 Chipset
- Memory: Supports DDR4 2666MHz, 2 x SO-DIMM Slots, Max. 32GB (Non-ECC)
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, or GTX 1080 8GB or the AMD RX 580 8GB MXM module
- Audio: 1 x Head Phone with MIC Jack, 1 x MIC-In, Realtek ALC233 Codec
- USB: 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C (Front), 5 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Type-A (1 Front, 4 Rear), 2 x USB 2.0 (Side)
- Networking: LAN: Intel Gigabit I219V LAN, Wi-Fi: 1 x M.2 Slot for Wi-Fi (802.11ac) + BT Module (Key E 2230)
- Storage: 2 x SATA 6G with Power connectors, M.2_1: Type 2280/2260 PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA 6Gbs, M.2_2: Type 2280/2260 PCIe Gen3 x4 signal only, M.2_3: Type 2280/2260 PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA 6Gbs, Intel Optane Technology
- Connectors: 2 x USB 2.0 Headers, 1 x Front Panel Header, 2 x 4 Pin Fan Connectors, 1 x GPU Fan connector, 1 x RGB LED header, 1 x 4 Pin DC Power DIN Jack, 1 x Front Panel Audio Connector
- Power Unit: 270W / 19V
- Form Factor: Micro STX
- Dimension: 213 x 154.5 x 81.9mm (2.7L)
- OS: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit compliant
For connecting up a monitor the system has 4K@60Hz video output options via HDMI, DisplayPort, and/or mini DisplayPort. Other things of note, listed above, are the RGB LED header, and the front USB Type-C port.
Above and below you can see ASRock's in-house noise and efficiency test results for the DeskMini GTX/RX.
We don't have pricing details for the new ASRock DeskMini GTX/RX barebones systems. However, for a guide price, I have nosed around and found last year's GTX 1060 6GB equipped barebones systems are still on sale for approx $800 in the USA, £720 in the UK, or €670 in Europe.