ASUS has launched a new gaming motherboard that allows users to pick from the latest server-class Intel Xeon E3-1200 v5 processors or consumer 6th gen Intel Core/Pentium/Celeron processors which use the LGA1151 socket. This ATX motherboard is based upon the Intel C232 Express chipset with the usual ASUS Gaming enhancements ladled on top. The ASUS E3 Pro Gaming V5 is available immediately in the UK, priced at £118.10.
Why has ASUS decided to design and market such a motherboard? In an email to HEXUS we were told that this Intel C232 chipset board will provide gamers an improved price-to-performance ratio. For example an Intel Xeon E3 v5 CPU can offer Core i7-class performance for Core i5-class pricing, said ASUS. There are also some shortages evident in Intel's consumer Skylake i7 range.
ASUS bullet points the following E3 Pro Gaming V5 motherboard highlights:
- LGA1151 socket for Intel Xeon E3-1200 v5 processors and 6th-genereation Core, Pentium and Celeron processors
- Dual-channel DDR4 2133 support
- SupremeFX: Flawless audio that makes you part of the game
- Sonic Radar ll: Scan and detect your enemies to dominate
- Intel Gigabit Ethernet, LANGuard and GameFirst technology: Top-speed protected networking
- RAMCache: Speed up your game loads
- Gamer's Guardian: Highly-durable components and smart DIY features
- USB 3.1 Type-A/C and M.2: Ultra-speedy transfers for faster gaming
In terms of basic hardware specifications users will benefit from 4x DIMM slots for max of 64GB of RAM with Intel XMP support, expansions slots including 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 mode), 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode), 2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x1, 2 x PCI. AMD Multi GPU is supported up to quad-GPU CrossFireX.
Storage devices can be attached via 1x M.2 socket (either SATA or PCIe types) and 6x SATA 6Gbps ports, supporting various Raid configurations, are present. There's plenty of USB ports available, including a Type-C USB 3.1 port and 6x USB 3.0/2.0 ports. The built-in Gigabit LAN uses the Intel I219LM controller. ASUS has equipped SupremeFX 8-channel shielded audio with optical S/PDIF out.
There's a host of ASUS 'built to game' special features equipped, and these include; Gamer's Guardian ESD guards on LAN, Audio, keyboard, mouse and USB ports, plus durable components and DIGI+ VRM. Users also get SupremeFX audio, GameFirst networking, ASUS Ai Charger+, ASUS Fan Xpert 3, ASUS EZ DIY, ASUS Q-Design, Media Streamer and RAMCache (and more).
As mentioned in the intro, ASUS UK says the E3 Pro Gaming V5 is available immediately in the UK priced just under £120.