Asus ROG has released a pair of gamer / enthustiast / overclocker friendly high end desktop motherboards that are built to make the most of the Intel Core-X series of processors (up to 18 cores / 36 threads). The Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme and Apex boards are based upon Intel's X299 chipset and are both E-ATX in size, offer Quad-channel DDR4 (OC) support, and have Aura Sync RGB LED lighting.
Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
The Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme is aimed most squarely at gamers who wish to deploy custom liquid cooling setups. Asus has equipped all of the usual fan and pump headers, plus a flow header that lets you monitor the coolant coursing through your loop. A further connector facilitates the provision of flow, temperature, and leakage data with water blocks designed for the Extreme. Motherboard highlights are listed below, and the full specs can be found here.
- Intel Core X Series processor family: Ready for the latest LGA 2066 socket CPUs
- Quad-channel DDR4 4200 (OC) support
- Superfast 10Gbps networking for up to 10X-faster data-transfer speeds, plus 802.11ad Wi-Fi support
- Synchronize RGB lighting with a vast portfolio of Aura Sync capable PC gear – now with support for addressable light strips
- ROG DIMM.2: Dual M.2 expansion card allows use of fans to prevent throttling
- 5-Way Optimization: Automated system-wide tuning, providing overclocking and cooling profiles that are tailor made for your rig
- LiveDash OLED : Customizable panel displays vital system stats or your own logo
- Gaming Audio: SupremeFX and Sonic Studio III – High fidelity audio that draws you deeper into the action
- Best gaming protection – SafeSlot, and carefully-selected premium components for maximum durability
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex
Here is a motherboard with an 'X' shaped PCB, designed for top performance and the highest possible overclocks. The Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex has already been leveraged by OC champs and achieved "seven world records and 16 global first places," says Asus. For example, this motherboard was key to achieving the highest CPU frequency for an Intel Core i7 processor, with 7.562GHz on all four cores and eight threads. Further motherboard highlights are listed below, but you can check out the full spec here.
- Intel Core X Series processor family: Ready for the latest LGA 2066 socket CPUs.
- Quad-channel DDR4 4000MHz+ (OC) supported: Push memory to the max for smoother, faster performance.
- Engineered for performance: Streamlined layout breaks all boundaries.
- Dual DIMM.2: Two dual M.2 expansion cards with fan mounting kits that allow users to install their own fans to prevent throttling
- X-shaped PCB: Unique cutouts allow Aura Sync lighting to shine through.
- Illuminated customizable nameplate: Your board, your insignia.
- Aura Sync RGB LED: Stunning synchronized effects and two Aura 4-pin RGB-strip headers.
- ROG Water Cooling Zone: Dominate your cooling system.
- 3D-Printing Friendly: Make it your own.
- Made for great gaming: 5-Way Optimization, SupremeFX audio, Intel gigabit Ethernet and LANGuard.
- Best gaming protection: SafeSlot, SafeDIMM and premium components for maximum durability.
Asus says that the ROG Rampage VI Extreme and ROG Rampage VI Apex motherboards are available now, or very soon, at leading resellers. The respective RRPs are £579.99 for the Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme, and £429.99 for the Apex.