Award-winning G-DRIVE®, G-RAID® and G-SPEED® Families Receive Capacity and Performance Bumps Utilising the Industry’s Most Reliable Enterprise-class 8TB and 10TB Hard Drives
London, UK. – July 20, 2016 – Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC) today announced that its award-winning G-Technology® product lines are getting more capacity and increased performance to keep up with the growing needs of creative professionals and consumers capturing vast amounts of high-resolution content, including video and digital photography.
“By 2020, industry experts predict that the media and entertainment industry’s storage requirements will grow by nearly five times, and the average consumer will need an enormous 5.2TB of storage,” said Mike Williams, vice president of G-Technology. “G-Technology is dedicated to providing reliable, fast, stylish and easy-to-use storage solutions that fit the current and future needs of professionals and consumers alike.”
With high-resolution capture proliferating, consumers and content creation professionals will need greater storage capacities. For example, anyone with an Apple® iPhone® 6s can capture 4k video, and just 30 minutes of footage will take up to 11GB of space. Professional videographers capturing 4K resolution video at 60fps create 400MB per second, or 1.4 terabytes per hour of raw footage, and are often required to back-up their footage in multiple places for safekeeping. This storage capacity does not even take into account post-production, or transferring that content to clients.
“As a director of photography and cinematographer, who uses G-Technology products on shoots of all sizes, I’ve experienced first-hand the need for larger storage capacities as high-resolution content has become an industry standard,” said Shane Hurlbut, member of the American Society of Cinematographers (ASC). “I’m excited G-Technology is updating the products I’ve used and have trusted over the years to address this increasing need for higher capacity storage for both professionals and consumers.”
- G-DRIVE with Thunderbolt™ (up to £535 + VAT for 10TB) - A high-performance storage solution that features ultra-fast Thunderbolt with now up to 245MB per second transfer rates with the option to utilise USB 3.0 connectivity, perfect for data-intensive tasks such as audio/video editing or digital photography. A USB 3.0 only version is also available for up to £459 +VAT for 10TB.
- G-RAID with Thunderbolt (up to £1,145 + VAT for 20TB ) – This is a high-performance, removable dual-hard drive RAID 0, 1 or JBOD storage system featuring both Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0 connectivity to quickly access, browse, edit and backup digital libraries. It now provides transfer rates up to 480MB/s in RAID 0, suitable for the most demanding creative projects, including multistream HD, 2K and compressed 4K video workflows.
G-SPEED Studio and G-SPEED Shuttle:
- G-SPEED Shuttle XL with Thunderbolt (up to £7,600 + VAT for 80TB) – Able to handle demanding 4K and beyond video workflows both on location and in the studio, the G-SPEED Shuttle XL with Thunderbolt offers a hardware RAID, 8-Bay transportable Thunderbolt 2 solution with colossal capacity up to 80TB. Designed for the creative professional always on the go, the G-SPEED Shuttle XL has an integrated handle to easily move and fit inside a standard protective case that sits neatly into an overhead airline compartment.
- G-SPEED Shuttle XL with Thunderbolt with ev Series Bay Adapters (up to £5,725 + VAT for 60TB) -- Similar to the G-SPEED Shuttle XL with Thunderbolt, the integrated ev Series bay adapters improve workflow options and productivity by enabling cross-functionality with all ev Series drives. It also comes with up to six 10TB enterprise-class hard drives backed by the trusted G-Technology three-year limited warranty.
- G-SPEED Studio XL with Thunderbolt (up to £6,875 + VAT for 80TB) – For professional content creators who need colossal capacity coupled with high performance, the G-SPEED Studio XL provides a hardware RAID 8-Bay enterprise-class storage solution that can support multi-stream, compressed 4K workflows with large volumes of data at transfer rates of up to 1350MB/s.
- G-SPEED Studio XL with two ev Series Bay Adapters (up to £4,999 + VAT for 60TB) -- The addition of integrated ev Series bay adapters leverages the flexibility of the ev Series by offering compatibility with all ev Series drives. Six of the eight bays are enterprise-class hard drives up to 10TB, providing storage for critical video and photography based workflows.
All of G-Technology’s storage solutions come with a three-year limited warranty. G-Technology’s storage solutions come pre-formatted for Mac® and are easily reformatted for PC using the G-Technology Windows Format Wizard.
Stay connected with G-Technology
Web site: www.g-technology.com
G-Technology is a brand of Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC). Western Digital Corporation is an industry-leading provider of storage technologies and solutions that enable people to create, leverage, experience and preserve data. The company addresses ever-changing market needs by providing a full portfolio of compelling, high-quality storage solutions with customer-focused innovation, high efficiency, flexibility and speed. Our products are marketed under the HGST, SanDisk and WD brands to OEMs, distributors, resellers, cloud infrastructure providers and consumers.
G‐Technology external hard drives serve as an element of an overall backup strategy. It is recommended that users keep two or more copies of their most important files backed up or stored on separate devices or online services.