Focused on Flash
US smartphone maker Motorola has followed in the footsteps of the HTC HD2 in testing the boundary of what can be considered a pocket-sized device, with the launch of the DROID X and its 4.3 inch screen.
In order to power this large screen, Motorola has announced a 1GHz Texas Instruments OMAP SoC. It hasn't specified the model number, but given that the OMAP 3430 found in the Milestone is only designed to clock to 600MHz, we must assume it's a 3640. This is still based on the ARM Cortex A8 CPU design and Imagination Technologies SGX530 graphics, but TI has tweaked it to higher frequencies.
There are a couple of disappointments: firstly this is just a US launch for now - exclusive to Verizon - and while we expect an equivalent of the DROID X to appear over here, we've had nothing from Motorola on the matter yet.
The second negative, especially for a device that is designed for multimedia on the go, is that it won't come with Android 2.2 at launch. The main reason this matters is that Adobe has recently announced - finally - the availability of full Flash 10.1 for mobile devices, but it only works on A droid 2.2. At the launch Motorola said Android 2.2 will begin rolling-out to its Android devices later this summer.
Here are some specs and a piccie.
- Talk time: Up to 480 minutes
- Standby time: Up to 220 hours
- Form Factor: Full Touch
- Band/Modes: CDMA 800/1900, EV-DO Rev. A
- OS: Android 2.1, update to Android 2.2 late summer
- Weight: 155 g / 5.47 oz
- Dimensions: 65.50 (x) 127.50(y) 9.90(z) mm
- Browser: Webkit HTML5 based browser; Adobe Flash 10.1 after update, pinch-to-zoom
- E-mail Support: Gmail, Push E-mail, Corporate Sync, IMAP/ POP3
- Battery: 1540 mAh
- Connectivity: Stereo Bluetooth Class 1.5, Version 2.1+EDR, 3.5mm, USB 2.0 HS, OTA, HDMI, Over the Air Sync, PC Sync, DLNA
- Display: 4.3" WVGA (854 x 480)
- Audio: MIDI, MP3, WAV, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+,
- Video: 720p HD Capture, HD Playback via HDMI or DLNA, H.263, H.264, MPEG4, WMA v10
- Camera: 8.0 megapixel, Digital Zoom, Auto Focus, Dual LED Flash and image editing tools
- Memory: 8 GB onboard, 16 GB microSD pre-installed, supports up to 32 GB micro SD - total memory expandable up to 40 GB
- Location Services: aGPS (assisted), sGPS (stand alone), Google Maps, Google Maps Navigation, Google Maps with Google Latitude, Street View, and eCompass