We saw quite a few details about the ASUS ROG GR8 console-inspired PC revealed back at Computex. At that time we were told to expect a Q3 launch but it's been all quiet up until now. Now ASUS has officially launched the machine and provided us with detailed specs and a snazzy video. The Republic of Gamers blog says the GR8 gaming mini-PC will be in stores "this month".
As was indicated back in June the GR8 packs a combination of an Intel Haswell Core i7 CPU and an Nvidia Maxwell GTX 750 Ti graphics card into its compact chassis. This offers "plenty of performance in as little space as possible," says ASUS. Complementing those components ASUS ROG have fitted a dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi card and a built-in Miracast receiver.
The machine is configurable and components can include; up to 16Gb of DDR3L (SO-DIMM) memory, HDD or SSD (2.5-inch) options which are easily changed by the user via slide-off panels.
ASUS ROG GR8 Specifications
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4510U Processor
- Graphics processor: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 750Ti Graphics w/ 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
- Operating system: Windows® 8.1 or Windows® 8.1 Pro
- Memory & storage: 1600MHz DDR3L memory (up to 16GB) 2 x SO-DIMM. SATA 6Gb/s; 1 x 2.5″ 1TB 7200rpm HDD, or 2.5″ 256G SSD, 1 x 2.5” extension bay for HDD/SSD, Free 100GB of ASUS WebStorage for 12 months
- Networks: Intel® Gigabit LAN, Wireless Dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
- Connectivity: Front 1 x Headphone, 1 x MIC-in, 2 x USB 2.0 (1 with USB Charger)
Rear 3 x Audio jacks (LINE_IN/LINE_OUT/MIC), 1 x S/PDIF optical out, 1 x HDMI (support Ultra HD 4K), 1 x DisplayPort (support Ultra HD 4K), 1 x LAN(RJ45), 4 x USB 3.0, 1 x 19V DC-in, 1 x Kensington lock
- Power consumption: 19V DC, 6.32A, 120W Power Adapter, 0.4W when off, 13W at idle, 70 to 77W at full 3D loads
- ROG-exclusive features: SupremeFX Audio, Sonic SoundStage, Sonic SenseAmp, Sonic Studio, Sonic Radar II, GameFirst III, Miracast Receiver
- Bundled software: Kaspersky Anti-Virus (1-year full license), AiSuite III, ASUS HomeCloud with Wi-Fi GO!/Media Streamer, DTS Connect
- Accessories: M801 gaming mechanical keyboard (optional), ROG Gladius gaming mouse (optional), 120W AC adapter, Power cord, User Manual, Quick Start Guide, Warranty Card
- Size: Max. 238 x 245 x 60 mm (2.5-liter chassis)
- Weight: 1.284kg
In addition to the above spec your GR8 PC has a matte-black finish, Mayan-inspired detailing, and a pulsing illuminated ROG logo. It is said to run cool and quiet and consumes just 13W at idle and up to 77W under full 3D load. As a possible living room based PC quietness is important and ASUS says that the GR8 is "20dB at idle and 28dB when running at full capacity".
A 'Steam utility' is pre-installed to get you up and running on this popular PC games downloads store as quickly as possible. Remember that ASUS designed this PC initially as a 'Steam Machine'.
The machine is purchasable with complimentary matching design optional ROG Gladius mouse and M801 mechanical backlit keyboard. While we know to expect the GR8 "this month" we don't have any pricing indications as yet.