Philips has just launched a new monitor which it claims is the first to achieve the new Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) DisplayHDR 1000 Certification. The qualities of this monitor don’t stop there though. The Philips Momentum 43 (436M6VBPAB) also boasts attractive attributes such as an expansive 43-inch wide colour gamut quantum dot screen, 4K UHD resolution, and Philip’s Ambiglow technology.
As a reminder of the VESA DisplayHDR 1000 spec, it is the highest level certification offered by the association. You can check and compare the VESA DisplayHDR 400, 600, and 1000 specifications in our earlier report. The key specification that defines a DisplayHDR 1000 screen is the peak luminance of 1,000cd/m2, this is backed by 10-bit image processing (it displays (8bits + FRC)), and the use of local dimming technology for better blacks. Of course Philips achieves all that to gain the certification but it also boasts of its ability to reproduce 97.6 per cent of the DCI-P3 colour space.
You can check out the full specification of the Philips Momentum 436M6 in the official product brochure (PDF), but I have put together some highlights in quick reference bullet point form below:
- 4K UHD (3840x2160) resolution DisplayHDR 1000 quantum dot MVA screen with W-LED backlight, anti-glare coating
- Colour gamut (min.): BT. 709 Coverage: 100%; DCI-P3 Coverage: 97.6%, Colour gamut (typical): NTSC 119%, sRGB 145%
- Multi-View technology - two devices connected at once in PIP/PBP mode
- Ambiglow technology
- Low input lag
- Adaptive Sync
- HDMI/DisplayPort refresh rates: 23 - 80Hz
- 4ms typical response time (GtG)
- Flicker Free and Low Blue light modes
- DTS sound and 7W x2 built-in speakers
- Outputs: HDMI 2.0 x 1, DisplayPort 1.2, mini DisplayPort 1.2 x 1, USB-C (DP Alt mode)
- USB: USB 3.0x2 (2 w/fast charging)
- Remote control
- Stand supplied offers only Tilt: -5/10 degree but the display has a VESA 100 mount system
- Monitor uses 162W in typical operation
- It weighs 14K.7g with the stand attached or 14Kg without
The Philips Momentum 436M6 will be available later this summer for $999.99.