HP has launched what it claims to be the world's thinnest laptop. The new Spectre laptop and a range of other 'premium' ENVY devices were launched at a special New York Times International Luxury Conference in Versailles, France. The HP Spectre is a 13.3-inch edge-to-edge FHD display laptop which packs an Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU and B&O audio into a supremely thin 10.4mm. For comparison that's a height equal to an AAA battery on its side.
"The HP Spectre is the thinnest notebook in the world, and unlike the majority of other super thin PCs on the market, this laptop doesn't compromise power or features," said Kevin Frost, vice president and general manager, consumer personal systems, HP Inc. "A beautiful Full HD edge-to-edge display, Intel Core i processors coupled with Bang & Olufsen sound and a sexy and thin design, HP amazing engineers set a new standard with the all new Spectre."
Key specifications of the new HP Spectre are as follows:
- 6th generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and a lightning fast PCIe SSD with storage up to 512GB with up to 8GB of memory for maximum performance.
- Integration of Intel hyperbaric cooling system keeps the machine running cool even with powerful processors in a small package.
- Full HD IPS edge-to-edge display featuring Corning Gorilla delivers a superb viewing experience for editing photos, perfecting a presentation, or watching a movie.
- A carbon fibre bottom creates a thin profile that is both durable and lightweight, keeping the total weight of the notebook at just 2.45 pounds (1.11Kg).
- An innovative hybrid battery split into two thinner pieces delivers the same wattage as a single battery for up to 9 and half hours of battery life while enabling the world's thinnest laptop.
- Stereo speakers by Bang & Olufsen with HP Audio Boost technology, a combination of hardware and software to give customers the depth they want.
- Three full function USB Type-C connectors, including two of which support Thunderbolt, to provide a fast, versatile I/O connection.
Beyond the practical design aspects, as listed above, HP was rather proud of its collaboration with "world-renowned designers Tord Boontje and Jess Hannah," in producing the Spectre and other new HP devices. The Spectre's CNC machined aluminium chassis with high gloss copper accents, a jewellery-like finish, and hidden piston-hinges all contribute to a premium look and feel.
In addition an 18K Gold and Diamond limited edition of the HP Spectre, pictured directly below, was revealed in Paris and these will be auctioned off to support the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
The 13.3-inch HP Spectre will be available via HP.com and BBY.com from 25th April for pre-order with a starting price at $1,169.99. Best Buy stores availability is scheduled for 22nd May, with a starting price at $1,249.99.