We saw the refreshed AORUS X7 laptop launch last week and some HEXUS readers again wished for a similar laptop in a smaller form factor. Well it looks like AORUS has been listening because today it has launched the AORUS X3 gaming laptop.
Actually we have two new smaller models today; the 13.3-inch AORUS X3 with a QHD 2560x1440 Wide Viewing Angle LCD, and the AORUS X3 Plus with the choice between 13.9-inch QHD 2560x1440 Wide Viewing Angle LCD and 13.9-inch QHD+ 3200x1800 Wide Viewing Angle LCD panels.
Beyond the screen size and resolution option differences the AORUS X3 and AORUS X3 Plus are the same and have the following key specs; a 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.5GHz-3.5GHz), 8GB DDR3L 1600 2 slots (Max 16GB), Nvidia Optimus graphics which switch between Intel HD Graphics 4600 and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M GDDR5 6GB, appropriately. This gaming laptop also features fast fixed storage thanks to 2 slots for M.2 SSD 128GB/256GB/512GB.
Looking at gamer-centric features this mobile computing powerhouse also has a backlit keyboard with macro keys and a Killer LAN chip. A good selection of modern ports and interfaces rounds off the machine. Putting the physical nature of this laptop under scrutiny, it measures 330(W) x 263.5(D) x 22.9(H) mm and tips the scales at around 1.8Kg.
AORUS X3 (Plus) specification table
- CPU: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.5GHz-3.5GHz)
- Chipset: Mobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset
- Video Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M GDDR5 6GB, Supports NVIDIA Optimus Technology
- Display: 13.3-inch QHD 2560x1440 Wide Viewing Angle LCD
(X3 Plus model display: 13.9-inch QHD 2560x1440 Wide Viewing Angle LCD or 13.9-inch QHD+ 3200x1800 Wide Viewing Angle LCD)
- Storage: M.2 SSD 128GB/256GB/512GB, 2 slot
- Keyboard Type: Backlit Keyboard, Individual Macro Keys
- I/O Port: USB(3.0), USB(2.0), HDMI, mini Display port, RJ45, Mic-in, Earphone-out (SPDIF), SD Card Reader, DC-in Jack
- Communications: Killer LAN Chip, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth V4.0
- Multimedia: Stereo speakers, HD webcam
- OS: Windows 8.1
- Battery: Li Polymer 73.26Wh
- Physical: 330(W) x 263.5(D) x 22.9(H) mm, 1.87Kg
- Warranty: 2 years
Looking at some official performance figures, AORUS says that the GTX 870M in the X3 helps propel it to a 3DMark 11 score of P7104, significantly better than the GTX 770M scores. The GTX 870M incorporates 1344 CUDA cores and also supports Nvidia Battery Boost, Shadowplay and GameStream. This laptop also features user customisable fan control modes to keep it running smoothly with the minimum of user disturbance.
The screen that the AORUS X3 (Plus) comes with is an IGZO-TFT (Indium gallium zinc oxide) panel with a wide viewing angle. As mentioned above, the standard screen is 13.3-inch QHD 2560x1440 but the Plus model boosts this to 13.9-inches and also offers a QHD+ 3200x1800 option.
AORUS emailed us the prices as follows: The X3 price will be US$2,099 with 16GB RAM and 256GB x2 M.2 SSDs. The 13.9-inch X3 Plus will cost the same with the same spec. However the 13.9-inch X3 Plus with QHD+ screen will cost from $2,249 with 16GB RAM and 256GB x2 M.2 SSDs. Availability is scheduled for Q3 this year.