MSI has released a whole host of new and updated gaming laptops to coincide with Intel's release of a multitude of 8th Gen Core mobile and desktop CPUs. In brief MSI has new laptops called; the GS65 Stealth Thin, the GT75 Titan "the first laptop with an i9 processor," the GE Raider RGB Edition. It also released updated versions of the GT83 Titan and GT63 Titan. Last but not least refreshed versions of the GP, GF, GL, and GV series will all become available in due course.
GS65 Stealth Thin
This laptop is described by MSI Vice President of Global Sales & Marketing, Eric Kuo, as "breaking gaming laptop conventions," thanks to its slim and elegant golden accent design. Key features of this desirable gaming laptop include; its 144Hz 7ms FHD IPS display with 4.9mm thin bezels, the latest 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor, and up to a GeForce GTX 1070 GPU. MSI explains that the latest 8th Gen Intel CPUs offer up to 6C/12T processing.
Keeping this slim (17.7mm) and light (1.79Kg) laptop cool is the MSI Cooler Boost Trinity cooling design. Other attractive features are its per-key RGB keyboard designed by SteelSeries, 8+ hours of battery life, plus fast storage, Killer networking, and ample connectivity options. Please check out the specs table below for the full details.
- CPU: Intel 8th Gen. Processor + HM370
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / 1060
- Display: FHD 144Hz/7ms IPS-level Thin Bezel (72% NTSC)
- Memory: DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM x2 (Max 32GB)
- Storage: 1st Slot: PCIe Gen3 x 4 SSD & SATA SSD (combo), 2nd Slot: PCIe Gen3 x 4 SSD
- Audio: 2W x2 by Dynaudio (Hi-Res Audio, Nahimic 3)
- Communication: Killer E2500/Killer1550+BT5 (GTX 1070), Killer E2500/Intel 9560+BT5 (GTX 1060)
- I/O: 3 x USB 3.1 Type-A , 1 x Thunderbolt (Type-C USB 3.1) , 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x mDP 1.2, 1 x Mic-in, Headphone-out
- Power: 4 Cell Battery / 180W Slim Type Adapter
- Dimension/Weight: 357.7 x 247.7 x 17.7 mm / 1.79 kg
MSI told HEXUS that the new GS65 Stealth Thin will be available in stores and online from the end of this month. US customers can already pre-order via Newegg and Amazon.
GT75 Titan with Core i9
In the intro we repeated MSI claim that this is "the first laptop with an i9 processor." It is probably rather 'among the first' as we saw early signs of an Acer gaming laptop featuring this chip last week. Furthermore, firms like Asus, Alienware, and Gigabyte/Aorus etc are not likely to leave these top-end portable PC gaming machines unchallenged for long.
MSI says that its GT75 Titan offers overclocked power to the tune of "a 70 per cent performance leap over the previous Core i7". It reckons the new 6C/12T Intel CPU will be most welcome where gamers enjoy multi-tasking and stream their gameplay, for example. This machine offers a range of GPU, display and memory options to suit. You can run through the full spec options in the bullet points below.
- Processor: Up to 8th Gen Intel Core i9
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 SLI, or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
- Display: 17.3” UHD (3840x2160), IPS-Level, 100%NTSC, 17.3” FHD (1920x1080), 120Hz, 3ms, Wide-View, 94%NTSC
- Memory: DDR4-2666 speed up to 2 slots, up to 32GB, or DDR4-2400 speed up to 4 slots, up to 64GB
- Keyboard: Rapid Mechanical RGB Keyboard by SteelSeries
- Storage: 2 x M.2 SSD Combo (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 / SATA), 1 x M.2 SSD (NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4), 1 x 2.5” HDD *supports Super RAID 4
- I/O: 1 x Thunderbolt 3, 5 x Type-A USB 3.1, 1 x HDMI, 1 x mDP
- Network: Killer DoubleShot Pro with 10Gbps Killer Ethernet and Killer Wireless-AC 1550
Other Titans feeling the benefit of updates include the GT83 Titan, designed to pack a full desktop gaming experience in a mobile form factor and the first laptop to integrate a full Cherry MX Speed Silver switch keyboard. This laptop has options for GeForce GTX 1080 SLI graphics. Then there is the 15-inch GT63 Titan featuring the latest 8th Gen processors and up to GeForce GTX 1080 graphics plus SteelSeries RGB keyboard.
GE Raider RGB Edition
You might guess from the name that "the GE63/73 Raider RGB Edition is inspired by sports cars and the PC Master Race's love for RGB". It features RGB lighting in the top cover (24 zones), keyboard, and the USB ports. This laptop was launched with a new Killer 1550 Wi-Fi component back at CES 2018 and has now been updated with up to the latest 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor and up to Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 graphics.
Would-be buyers can opt for the 120Hz 3ms Wide-view or 4K IPS-Level display. That choice applies to both models, whether you go for the 15.6-inch GE63, or the 17.3-inch GE73. Other feature highlights of these Raider RGB Edition machines are the Nahimic 3 audio, Killer networking, and Bluetooth 5.0.
GE63 Raider RGB [GE73 Raider RGB difference in square brackets]
- Processor: Up to 8th Gen. Intel Core i7 Processor, Chipset: HM370
- Panel: 15.6” UHD (3840x1080), IPS-level, 15.6” FHD (1920x1080), 120Hz, 3ms, Wide-View, 94%NTSC
- [Panel: 17.3” UHD (3840x2160), IPS-level, 17.3” FHD (1920x1080), 120Hz, 3ms, Wide-View, 94%NTSC]
- GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5, or GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
- Memory: DDR4-2400, 2x SO-DIMM up to 32GB
- Storage: 1st M.2 slot: NVMe PCIe Gen3 / SATA3 M.2 SSD (combo), 2nd M.2 slot: NVMe PCIe Gen3 M.2 SSD, 1 x 2.5” HDD SATA Gen3
- Communication: Killer E2500 + Intel 9560/Killer 1550i (802.11 ac 2x2 /BT 5.0)
- I/O: 1 x USB Type-C USB 3.1, 3 x USB Type-A USB 3.1, 1 x HDMI (4K@60Hz) + 1 x Mini-DisplayPort, 1 x RJ45 (Killer LAN), 1 x SD (XC/HC), 1 x Mic-in + 1x Headphone-out (HiFi / SPDIF)
- Adapter: 230W/180W (for GTX 1070/1060)
- Dimensions: 383 x 260 x 29.5 mm [419.2 x 287.1 x 30.15 mm]
- Weight: 2.49 kg [2.89 kg]
Dragon Centre Software has been updated to v2.0 with new UI and 'game mode'
Other MSI gaming laptop models with processor updates for the 8th Gen include; the GS73 & GS63 Stealth laptops, which benefit from new 102 key per-key RGB lighting, smaller fan blades, Dynaudio Certified speakers, upgraded Killer 1550 and Bluetooth v5. Further MSI GP, GF, GL, and GV series models are earmarked for 8th Gen upgrades too.