London, UK—(3 July, 2008) Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the DataTraveler BlackBox in EMEA, a hardware-based encrypted and Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) validated USB Flash drive. The DataTraveler BlackBox is shipping immediately in 2GB, 4GB and 8GB capacities in the colours Black, Green and Red.
“We are very excited that our DataTraveler BlackBox met all federal requirements established by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the US,” said Kirsty Miller, European Flash Product Marketing Manager, Kingston Technology. “Gaining FIPS 140-2 certification requires a validation process that meets federal requirements set by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the United States, and the Communications Security Establishment of the Government of Canada. This is critical to European governments and corporations, as FIPS is a worldwide recognised standard and proof of the high security standards the DataTraveler BlackBox meets”.
The FIPS Level 2 standard requires the DataTraveler BlackBox to run a power-on self test which verifies that the encryption architecture is functioning each time it is plugged into a USB port, as well as to feature a tamperproof seal. Beyond the NIST certification, the DataTraveler BlackBox features 256-bit hardware-based AES encryption and is protected against water damage to depths of up to four feet (1, 22 metres). Additionally it is equipped with a titanium coated steel casing and an epoxy resin coating over the controller, making it a robust USB drive designed to withstand harsh working environments and operating conditions.
The DataTraveler BlackBox automatically locks down after ten consecutive failed password attempts, thus helping to prevent unauthorised access if the drive is lost, stolen or misplaced.
The DataTraveler Black Box is backed by a five-year warranty and 24/7 technical support.
|Kingston DataTraveler BlackBox|
|Part Number||Capacity and Features||MSRP (without VAT)|
|DTBB/2GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 2GB Black||£69.60|
|DTBBG/2GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 2GB Green||£71.60|
|DTBBR/2GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 2GB Red||£71.60|
|DTBB/4GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 4GB Black||£102.20|
|DTBBG/4GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 4GB Green||£104.20|
|DTBBR/4GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 4GB Red||£104.20|
|DTBB/8GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 8GB Black||£178.70|
|DTBBG/8GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 8GB Green||£180.70|
|DTBBR/8GB||DataTraveler BlackBox 8GB Red||£180.70|
DataTraveler BlackBox Features and Product Specifications:
· Full Privacy – 100 percent of stored data is protected by 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) hardware-based encryption
· Ultra fast – data transfer rates of up to 24 MB/sec. read and up to 20 MB/sec. write1
· Secure – drive locks down and reformats after 10 intrusion attempts
· Enforced password protection – password is user set with minimum characteristics to prevent unauthorized access
· Easy to use – no admin rights or application installation required
· Waterproof– protected against water damage to depths of 4 feet (1, 22 metres)
· Guaranteed – five-year warranty with 24/7 customer support
· Ruggedized – waterproof and titanium-coated stainless steel casing
· Dimensions – 3.06" x 0.9" x 0.47" (77.9 mm x 22 mm x 12.05 mm)
· Capacities – 2GB, 4GB, 8GB†
· Minimum System Requirements –
o USB 2.0 compliant and 1.1 compatible
o Two (2) free consecutive drive letters required for use††
· Operating System – Windows Vista (32-bit only); Windows 2000 (SP3, SP4); Windows XP (SP1, SP2)
1Speed may vary due to host hardware, software and usage.
†Please note: Some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions and thus is not available for data storage. For more information, please consult Kingston's Flash Memory Guide at kingston.com/Flash_Memory_Guide.
††First free drive letters after physical devices such as system partition, optical drives, etc.
To view Kingston’s FIPS 140-2 Validation Certificate No. 929, please visit:
Detailed information about FIPS security levels and procedures can be found at:
FIPS Validated 140-2 is a Certification Mark of National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which does not imply product endorsement by NIST, the U.S. or Canadian Governments.For more information on Kingston or its products visit the Web site at: www.kingston.com/europe