Both feature innovative hinge designs that effortlessly transition the devices into numerous positions for a variety of uses
- Aspire R 13 and Aspire R 14 Series are two new convertible notebook lines that can transition between various notebook and tablet style modes of operation
- Both the R 13 and R 14 feature ergonomic designs that make the combination of touching the screen and typing on a keyboard more intuitive and natural
- The Aspire R 13 Series include numerous high-end features, including FHD and WQHD displays, Gorilla Glass 3, Solid State Drives and support for an optional Acer Active Pen
- The Aspire R 14 incorporates a unique 360 degree dual-torque hinge design that allows effortless transformation into four different modes
- The R 14 Series features a range of Intel processors, up to 12GB of memory and integrated or NVidia GeForce 820M graphics
BERLIN, Acer IFA Booth - Hall 12/101 (Sept. 3, 2014) Acer today announced the R 13 and R 14 Series, two new convertible notebook lines that can transition between various notebook and tablet modes of operation. The R 13 Series features Acer's unique Ezel Aero hingeTM that swings the display 180 degrees, allowing it to be used in six different usage modes. All models can also be used with the optional Acer Active pen. The R 14 Series of thin and light convertible notebooks features a 360 degree dual-torque hinge that allows it to be used in four usage modes. Both notebooks are designed for those who don't want to give up a traditional notebook design, but want more options and flexibility.
Both the R 13 Series and R 14 Series were unveiled today at Acer's Global Press Conference at IFA in Berlin, Germany, where the company announced their new product lines.
Aspire R 13 Series - Intelligent Construction and Smart Features enhance Work and Play
Less than 1 inch thin and just 1.5kg, the lightweight Aspire R 13 Series incorporates two unique hinges that provide both flexibility and stability - a rotatable hinge and a dual-torque hinge. The 13.3-inch display is affixed to Acer's Ezel Aero hingeTM at the sides, which allows the screen to rotate 180-degrees so it can be used in six different ways. This quick and effortless way to transition between various modes gives it the productivity features of a traditional clamshell notebook with the convenience of a tablet. Acer's patented dual-torque system hinge keeps the display stable and in place when touch navigation is used. It is attached to a forged U frame, which also helps to enhance stiffness while maintaining the notebook's slim design.
- Notebook mode - provides a precise and spacious keyboard for maximum productivity
- Ezel mode - brings the display close for convenient reading and web browsing
- Stand mode - makes it easy to draw a flow chart, take notes, brainstorm with others or edit artwork. The stand is sturdy enough for drawing and other touchscreen interactions
- Pad mode - enables the R 13 to be used as a tablet for web browsing, playing games or watching videos. The screen fits perfectly in the chassis frame, so it's steam-lined and easy to hold
- Tent mode - the ideal position when space is limited, such as an airplane's seatback tray
- Display mode - good for viewing photos and video or playing games with others
All R 13 Series models offer premium displays with super crisp images and fine detail. Available in either full high-definition (FHD) (1920 x 1080) or super high-resolution (WQHD) (2560 x 1440), photos, videos, games and presentations are strikingly vivid and detailed; text is sharp and crystal clear. Models with a FHD display also include IPS technology, which provides wide viewing angles, making them ideal for sharing movies and photos or for work presentations, while WQHD models boast IGZO technology, which achieves bigger light transmittance with less power use.
In addition, anti-fingerprint technology helps eliminate smudges and makes the displays easier to clean, while anti-reflective technology eliminates approximately 90 percent of reflections and improves the display's contrast. A built-in light sensor automatically adjusts the screen's brightness to enhance the screen image, making it easier to see and read based on the ambient lighting in the room.
For durability and strength, the touchscreen and outer lid are both encased in a slim, but strong, slice of Gorilla® Glass 3, making them tough yet beautiful.
The R 13 Series can also be used with an optional Acer Active pen for drawing, creating and collaborating. The pen supports 256 levels of pressure, can also be used as a mouse and includes palm rejection technology, which ignores the pressure from hands pushing against the screen so they doesn't inadvertently affect finger and/or pen input. The pen works with Acer's exclusive pen-enabled software, Hover Access, which features several innovative applications for work or play: note-taking, painting and editing. The pen and software make using the R 13 convenient, fun and productive. Hover Access is pre-installed on all models.
In addition to its innovative features, the R 13 Series includes powerful technologies, making them fast and responsive for a wide variety of work and entertainment uses. For maximum performance, models offer Intel Core i5 or i7 processors, up to 1TB Solid State Drives in a RAID-0 configuration and up to 8GB of memory. Leading audio features include Dolby Digital Plus Home Theatre for cinematic surround sound, and Acer Purified Voice, a combination of hardware (dual-array mic) and software (voice recognition and audio processing). It ensures webcam/video chats, conference calls, VoIP calls and voice commands are always crystal clear. To keep running cool and quiet, the Aspire R 13 boasts an advanced dual air-intake system for comfortable and noise-free computing.
Pricing and Availability
The Acer R 13 Series will be available in EMEA in late 2014. Prices begin at 899 €.
Acer R 14 Series - Effortless Transformation
Acer's new thin and lightweight notebook makes it easy to play, share, display or work. Its clean, refined design incorporates a unique 360 degree dual-torque hinge design that allows effortless transformation into four different modes for productivity and entertainment needs - notebook, pad, display or tent.
- Notebook mode - the most efficient way for work and productivity; ideal for vast amount of keyboard input
- Display mode - brings the screen closer for watching movies; it can also be used as a large photo frame
- Tent mode - perfect for smaller spaces, such as the fold-down tray on an airplane or on a kitchen counter
- Pad mode - for use as a tablet, Internet browsing, playing light games, sharing information
Acer's inventive 360 degree dual-torque hinge design delivers the perfect combination of flexibility and strength, making it easy to change modes with one hand for a wobble-free touch experience. Constructed of strong zinc alloy and soft rubber, it provides durability and the perfect amount of touch resistance. In addition, the hinge design allows the lid to be laid completely flat when in notebook mode, without any gap between the chassis and lid. Collaboration and sharing are made easier when the display is laid completely flat. In tablet mode, the display can be flipped over and lays completely flat against the chassis as well, for a clean, streamlined design. When the notebook is used in display mode, the hinge slightly raises the entire system, preventing the keyboard from touching the table or other surface. For convenience, the images and audio on the R 14 automatically reverse channels when the modes are switched, so the visuals and sound are always aimed the right way.
The R 14 features a 14" HD (1366 x 768) display, a range of Intel processors including Pentium, Core i3, i5 or i7 processors and up to 12GB of memory for powerful performance. Some models offer NVidia GeForce 820M graphics to enrich the overall visuals and boost gaming performance. Roomy 500GB or 1TB hard drives provide ample storage for files, photos and videos.
Pricing and Availability
The Acer R 13 Series will be available in the UK in October. Prices beginning at £699.
The R 14 Series will be available in October 2014. Prices begin at £429.
Established in 1976, Acer is a hardware + software + services company dedicated to the research, design, marketing, sale and support of innovative products that enhance people's lives. Acer's product offering includes PCs, displays, projectors, servers, tablets and smartphones - tools our customers need to explore beyond limits and experience more. Acer employs 7,400 people and ranks No. 4 for total PCs globally (IDC 2013). Revenues for 2013 reached US$12.02 billion. Please visit www.acer.com for more information.