Rockstar Editor, the movie making extension for GTA V and GTA Online experience sharing will be updated "in the coming weeks." As part of the September update a raft of new audio/visual and editing features are to be added to the editor. In addition, next gen console gamers will surely be pleased as the editing application comes to PS4 and Xbox One consoles for the first time. For an overview of the current Rockstar Editor software capabilties see the official video here.
In recent months there have been a flood of videos hitting YouTube showing the capabilities of the video editor. Above is an interesting example from IGN. It recreates five iconic movie scenes from; Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, Drive, The Fast & The Furious, and Speed.
So what additional features will the new editor benefit from? A brief bullet point list of some of the more interesting new features follows:
- Snapmatic Integration: Now you can export any still frame at a marker point straight to Snapmatic, giving you ultimate freedom when searching for that perfect camera angle.
- Director Mode Updates: An enlarged minimap with location blips to highlight preset locations, the power to freeze chosen time of day settings and the ability to spawn air and water vehicles.
- Copy and Paste Marker Properties: Easily copy and paste your audio settings from any marker to another marker in the clip – adding invaluable efficiency to your go-to editing techniques.
- Ambient Audio and Sound Effects Library: Add ambient and atmospheric sound design with a library of audio tracks to help bring your scenes to life or add sound effects from a collection of Foley and other sfx.
- New Fonts: You'll now have more style options than ever for your titles and credits - we're tripling the library of available fonts with new styles.
You can see that the bulk of the updates apply to the core editing functionality, which could help producer types make even better videos, more efficiently, in the GTA V universe. The audio and font library expansions will also be welcomed by many.
To help promote interest in using the Rockstar Editor the gaming company has previously held various content creation contests, squeezing the best from fans, judged on artistic merit. A few days ago it announced the winner of the #illgottengains Rockstar Editor contest – looking for the best video to "show off your luxury spoils". The winning video entry is embedded above. By the time of the next competition the editor will be available on three platforms; PC, PS4 and Xbox One. In theory that should lead to even more creative video entries to its competitions.