Humble Bundle has devised a new offering for fans of its games bundles. It is inviting PC gamers to pay a subscription of $12 per month for Humble Monthly. It describes the monthly collection of games as "A highly curated bundle of our favourite games at one fixed price." The hand-picked collection "Includes everything from recent hits to hidden gems to timeless classics - every month".
The mechanics of the subscription offer are as follows:
- Pay $12, with five per cent going to charity
- A new bundle unlocks on the first Friday of every month at 11am PST
- If you paid to subscribe before that cut-off time you get that bundle, otherwise you've missed that particular offer and will be receiving the next bundle.
- The bundle content isn't known until it becomes available - it's a 'lucky bag'.
- The games unlock on Steam for Windows and "sometimes more"
- You can cancel your subscription at any time and keep the games you have collected thus far.
Humble Bundle has an opening offer to get the subscriptions started. If you pay your first subscription now, or before 6th November (the first Friday of next month), you will get an extra game instantly unlocked: the Legend of Grimrock 2.
From then on in its hard to know how well the Humble Monthly will do. It all depends on the games and the history of the games it has offered up in previous months. Gamers will soon get a feel for the 'value' on offer and vote with their feet / subscription money. To generate excitement and subscription demand Humble Bundle will have to put together some pretty worthy games packages every month. Also a subscriber will need lots of free time to explore a bundle of new games each and every month.