Ricoh launches the Caplio GX100 compact digital camera with 24-to-72mm equivalent wide zoom and a first in the digital-camera category - a removable electronic viewfinder
Tokyo, Japan, March 28, 2007. Ricoh (President and CEO: Masamitsu Sakurai) announces the launch of its new Caplio GX100 digital camera. The Caplio GX100 is a superior model that achieves high picture quality thanks to the high-speed F2.5 aperture and high-performance 24-to-72 mm wide zoom lens (35mm film equivalent), 10.01 megapixel CCD, and "Smooth Imaging Engine II" packed into a compact body just 25mm thick - a first in the digital camera category.
The new Caplio GX100 is the successor to the popular Caplio GX8 (launched May 2005). Caplio GX8 was a highly-practical superior model featuring comprehensive manual shooting functions and the expandability to allow system upgrades to meet various applications.
The Caplio GX100 is a high-performance camera packed with advanced functions including a 24-to-72mm equivalent high-performance wide zoom lens (Caplio GX8: 28-to-85mm equivalent) that can be expanded to even ultra-wide-angle shooting equivalent to 19mm using the optional wide conversion lens.
It's also the first digital camera to support a removable electronic viewfinder (LCD viewfinder) and offers high image quality, thanks to the 10.01 megapixel effective CCD (Caplio GX8: 8.24 megapixel) and popular Smooth Imaging Engine II image-processing.
Main features of the new Caplio GX100
1. 24-to-72mm high-performance wide zoom lens in a compact body.
• The body size of 25mm is the smallest* that can accommodate a zoom lens of 24 mm or longer, making it easy to carry and enjoy photography anywhere.
* Smallest volume as of 27th March 2007
2. Removable electronic viewfinder.
• Offers 100% viewfinder coverage without parallax and multi-information display similar to a LCD monitor.
• Great for photography in bright outdoor environments. Take photographs as though using a conventional film camera.
• The electronic viewfinder is included in the Caplio GX100 VF KIT.
3. The 10.01 megapixel CCD, combined with an advanced image-processing engine achieves high picture quality with low noise.
4. Twin dials and other controls offer wide array of functions such as simple manual operations.
• Directly select "My Settings" on the Mode Dial to take photos using the arbitrarily-allocated settings.
• New features such as the square mode with a 1:1 aspect ratio and the sepia mode further enhance the range of expression.
5. Excellent expandability with a broad range of accessories for both exclusive use and general purpose.
• The optional hood and adaptor allow use of the 19mm wide conversion lens or other available 43mm-diameter accessories, such as various filters.
• An optional cable switch is also available.
• The Caplio GX100 can meet the diverse needs of professional photographers, high-end amateurs and commercial users.
Notes - The HA-2 hood and adapter is required to use the wide conversion lens. While the wide conversion lens is attached, the internal flash can't be used because vignetting may occur.
6. Wide-view-angle LCD panel.
7. Powerful macro functions.
8. Compatible with three different power sources: high-capacity rechargeable batteries, AAA batteries, and AC adaptor.
9. Images can be captured in various combinations of resolution and compression. RAW compression and RAW with JPEG can be selected for ultimate quality.
10. An aspect ratio of 3:2 and 1:1 can be selected.
11. Vibration Correction function, based on a CCD-shift method
List of Caplio GX100 Options:
Rechargeable batteries DB-60, Battery charger BJ-6, AC adapter AC-4c, LCD viewfinder*1 VF-1, Wide conversion lens*2 DW-6, Hood and adapter HA-2, Soft case SC-45, Neck strap*3 GS-1, Cable switch CA-1
*2 The HA-2 hood and adapter is required to use the wide conversion lens. The internal flash can‘t be used while the wide conversion lens is attached because vignetting may occur.
*3 The ST-1 neck strap for the Caplio GX/GX8 cannot be used.
Rechargeable Battery DB-60, Battery Charger BJ-6, Lens Cap, USB Cable, AV Cable, Handstrap, Software CD-Rom, Manual
Price and availability
GX100 with electronic viewfinder included will be available at the end of April 2007 at £399.99 inc VAT.
Ricoh Caplio GX100 – Major Specifications
Effective 10.01 million pixels (total 10.30 million pixels ), 1/1.75in primary-colour CCD
Focal length f=5.1-to-15.3mm (equivalent to 24-to-72mm for 35mm film cameras); Aperture (F value): F 2.5 - F9.1 (wide-angle) , F4.4 - F15.8 (telephoto); Lens structure: 11 glass elements in seven groups
Approx. 0.3m -∞ (wide and telephoto)
Macro Object Distance
Approx. 0.01m -∞ (wide); approx. 0.04m -∞ (telephoto); approx. 0.01m - ∞ (zoom macro mode)
Still image: 180, 120, 60, 30, 15, 8, 4, 2, 1 to 1/2000sec; Movie: 1/30-1/2000sec.
Still image: 3648x2736, 3648x2432, 2736x2736, 3264x2448, 2592x1944, 2048x1536, 1280x960, 640x480; Text: 3648x2736, 2048x1536; Movie: 640x480, 320x240
Picture mode *1
F (Fine); N (Normal); RAW *2
ISO Sensitivity (Standard Output Sensitivity)
AUTO; AUTO-HI; ISO80; ISO100; ISO200; ISO400; ISO800; ISO1600
Flash Off; Auto; Red-eye Flash; Flash On; Flash Synchro; Soft Flash; Flash Range*3: Approx. 0.2 - 5.0m (wide-angle), 0.15 - 3.0m (telephoto)
Auto Focus, Manual Focus, Snap, ∞
TTL-CCD Metering Method: Multi (256 segments); Centre-Weighted; Spot Metering
Manual exposure Compensation +/-2.0EV (1/3EV Steps); Auto Bracket Function (-0.3 EV, ±0, +0.3EV / -0.5EV,±0,+0.5EV)
Auto; Fixed (OUTDOORS, CLOUDY, INCAND., FLUORES., MANUAL); White Balance Bracket
SD Memory Card ( 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 MB, 1, 2 GB), SDHC Memory Card (4 GB), Multi Media Card, Internal Memory (26 MB)
Still-image storage on internal 26MB memory*4 (No. of Pictures)
640x480 (Normal: 276); 1280x960 (N: 62); 2048x1536 (N: 35); 2592x1944 (N: 22); 3264x2448 (N: 14); 2736x2736 (Fine: 8); 3648x2432 (RAW:1, Fine:7, Normal: 13); 3648x2736 (RAW: 1, Fine: 6, Normal: 11)
Movie storage capacity on internal 26MB memory (Time, in seconds)
320x240 @15 frames/sec (1 min 16sec)*5; 320×240 @30 frames/sec (39 sec); 640x480 @15 frames/sec (24 sec); 640x480 @30 frames/sec (12 sec)
Still image file sizes (approximate) at different resolutions
3648x2736 (RAW: 14.4MB, Fine: 3.61MB, Normal: 2.07MB); 3648x2432 (RAW: 12.8MB, F: 3.21MB, N: 1.85MB); 2736x2736 (F: 2.71MB), 3264x2448 (N: 1.67 MB); 2592x1944 (N: 1.06MB); 2048x1536 (N: 672 KB); 1280x960 (N: 356KB); 640x480 (N: 83KB)
Still image modes (Still Image, CONT., S-CONT., M-CONT.); Program Shift; Aperture-Priority; Manual Exposure modes; Scene modes (Portrait, Sports, Landscape, Nightscape, Skew correction, Text, Zoom macro, High Sensitivity); Movie mode; My Setting1 & 2
Still image: JPEG (Exif Ver. 2.21)DCF*6, RAW (DNG) *7
Movie: AVI (Open DML Motion JPEG Format Compliant)
Sound: WAV (Exif Ver. 2.21μ law)
LCD Monitor Display
2.5-inch Transparent Amorphous Silicon TFT LCD (approx. 230,000 pixels)
Operation time (approx): 10 sec/2 sec
Shooting interval: 5 sec to 3 hours (in 5 sec steps)*8
USB2.0 High-Speed (mini B cable ), Choice of Ricoh original or Mass Storage driver*9
Audio Out, Video Out
Video Signal Format
111.6(w) x 58.0(h) x 25.0(d)mm (excluding projections parts)
Approx. 220g (excluding batteries, Memory Card, strap); Accessories: approx. 30g (battery, strap)
Rechargeable battery DB-60 x1; optional AC adaptor AC-4c; AAA battery (alkaline, oxyride or NiMH) x2
Conforms to CIPA standard: using the DB-60, approx. 380 pictures (Using AAA alkaline batteries: approx. 35 pictures *11)
Operating Temperature Range
*2 Simultaneous recording with same size Fine/Normal modes or Normal 640 mode JPEG image
*3 When the flash range is set for ISO AUTO or ISO 400
*4 Estimated number of still images it is possible to record
*5 Max. recording time of 184 min. 57 sec. with 4GB SD Memory Card.
*6 Conforms to DCF, compatible with DPOF. DCF is the abbreviation for the JEITA Design Rules for Camera Files System. (It does not guarantee perfect inter-camera compatibility.)
*7 The DNG file format is a raw image file format. It is a standard file format of Adobe Systems Inc.
*8 With flash OFF.
*9 Mass Storage driver is compatible with Windows Me/2000/XP/Vista, Mac OS9.0-9.2.2, and, Mac OSX10.1.2-10.4.8. It is not compatible with Windows 98SE or Mac OS 8.6.
*10 Battery performance measured under conditions conforming to CIPA standards. These values are guidelines only. The actual performance may vary according to usage conditions and the battery manufacturer.
*11 With AAA alkaline batteries manufactured by Matsushita Battery Industrial Co., Ltd. (under the logo of Panasonic).