Tokyo, Japan, February 3, 2010—Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president and CEO: Shiro Kondo) today announced the development and release of the CX3, a new digital camera featuring a high magnification 10.7x (28-300 mm) optical wide-angle zoom lens, a back-illuminated CMOS sensor, and an enhanced noise reduction function.
With a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and a noise reduction function incorporating the algorithm used on the GR DIGITAL III (introduced August 2009), the new CX3 has dramatically improved image quality performance when shooting low-light scenes.
When the camera is pointed at the subject, the new "scene auto mode" will switch to the optimum scene mode. Since the camera automatically changes to the optimum shooting settings, you can enjoy easy shooting of beautiful photographs.
Shooting has never been more enjoyable. With many other function enhancements, such as the addition of a 1280 × 720 pixel HD movie function, the addition of high & low luminance priority settings for "dynamic range double shot mode" dynamic range expansion effects, and the addition of the "pets" scene mode. The CX3 compact digital camera takes another step forward in realizing the Ricoh design concept "A tool you will want to use every day."
<Main features of the new CX3>
1. Greater image quality in low-light scenes possible with a back-illuminated CMOS sensor and a new noise reduction function
- The back-illuminated 10 megapixel CMOS sensor significantly increases shooting performance in low-light scenes.
- The CX3 uses the noise reduction algorithm introduced on the GR DIGITAL III. Performing noise reduction processing on the signal immediately after it is output by the CMOS sensor makes it possible to reduce noise while maintaining resolution, tone characteristics, and saturation.
- The noise reduction level can be specified as Off, Auto, Weak, Strong, or MAX. By specifying MAX, it is possible to do sophisticated variance-estimation type noise reduction processing in which the sensor image data's noise variance is analyzed and the optimum processing is done for each region.
2. The 28-300 mm 10.7x optical zoom is mounted on a body that is both easy to operate and easy to carry
- Ricoh's original retracting lens system made it possible to fit the high magnification 10.7x optical wide-angle zoom lens in a compact 29.4 mm body.
- With 28 mm wide-angle to 300 mm telephoto coverage, this high magnification zoom lens can handle a wide range of shooting situations, including powerful telephoto shots as well as wide-angle shooting of both expansive landscapes and interior scenes with limited distance between camera and subject.
3. By just pointing the camera at the subject, "scene auto mode" will switch to the optimum shooting settings
- With "scene auto mode," the camera identifies the type of scene being photographed (portrait, sports, night portrait, landscape, nightscape, macro mode, etc.) and automatically switches to the optimum shooting settings. Enjoy quick and easy photography of people, landscapes, nightscapes, close-ups, and much else.
4. Get the shot you want with high-speed continuous shooting functions capable of high image quality
- It is possible to do high-speed continuous shooting at approximately 5 frames/second for still images with the maximum number of pixels.
* Continuous shooting speed will vary depending on shooting conditions, card type, card condition, etc.
- For the M-continuous plus shooting function, which saves consecutive images shot before the finger is removed from the shutter release button, there is a mode that makes it possible to shoot at the maximum number of pixels. To fit the scene being photographed, you can select from two modes: M-Continuous Plus (10M) for 15 images taken in as little as three seconds and M-Continuous Plus (2M) for 26 images taken in about 0.9 seconds.
* M-Continuous Plus (10M) image size is fixed at 10M 4:3N.
* M-Continuous Plus (2M) image size is fixed at 2M 4:3N.
* The consecutively shot images are recorded as a single MP file (a file format with multiple still images in a single file).
- With ultra-high-speed continuous shooting, the CX3 shoots 120 images (120 frames/sec.) during an interval of about one second after the shutter release button is pushed, or 120 images (60 frames/sec.) during an interval of about two seconds.
* Image size is fixed at VGA 4:3N.
* The consecutively shot images are recorded as a single MP file (a file format with multiple still images in a single file).
5. High image quality that will expand your range of expression
- Dynamic range double shot mode makes it possible to record images with an almost naked-eye impression, and new detailed settings have been added to control the dynamic range expansion effect. It is now possible to choose the tone range to be given priority using the following options: highlights, shadows, and off.
- Residing on a customized circuit of the image processing engine Smooth Imaging Engine IV, the pixel output interpolation algorithm reduces whiteout in high-contrast situations, thereby recreating beauty as seen.
- Multi-pattern auto white balance makes it possible to recreate natural as-seen colors even in people-photography scenes that were difficult to shoot with past auto white balance functions, such as scenes with both shadow and sunlight and scenes mixing flash and natural light (or fluorescent light, etc.).
6. New modes to stimulate creative photography.
- The new "pets mode" turns off the flash, AF auxiliary light, and operation sounds to avoid startling the pet. You can easily capture the antics of your cute pet. This mode also gives priority in focusing for a cat's face when one is detected.
- The 13 scene modes includes two popular modes introduced on the CX2: "miniaturize mode" makes it possible to shoot actual scenes but record images that recreate the impression given when photographing miniatures; "high-contrast B&W mode" makes it possible to record images with a grainy feel such as that created by using ultra-high-sensitivity film in a film camera or by push processing film at the development stage.
7. High-definition 3.0-inch 920,000-dot VGA LCD monitor.
- The large, high-resolution LCD monitor has a wide viewing angle and high contrast. The screen has a fluorine coat to prevent soiling, a hard coat to prevent scratches, and an anti-reflection coat to give excellent visibility even outdoors in bright sunshine.
- With sRGB comparison of 100% for colour reproduction range, the monitor vividly reproduces image colours.
8. A wide range of functions inspired by the "A tool you will want to use every day" concept.
- It is now possible to shoot 1280 × 720 pixel HD movies.
- With the macro photography functions you can get as close to the subject as 1 cm for wide angle* and 28 cm for telephoto. *Equivalent to 31 mm focal length for 35 mm cameras
- There is a function for shooting aspect ratio 16:9 still images.
- In playback, it is now possible to display images in date of recording sequence.
< CX3 Options >
Soft case (black)
Soft case (brown)
The CX3 will be available at SRP £299.99 inc
*All of the focal lengths in this release are converted to the equivalent values for a 35 mm film camera.
*The term "MP file" used in this document refers to "Extended MP files" conforming to the "multi-picture format" standardized by the CIPA. (The file extension is MPO.) With MP file images recorded by the CX3, a selected frame can be extracted and saved as an individual JPEG image within the camera.
CX3 – Major Specifications:
No. of Effective Pixels (Camera):
Approximately 10.00 million pixels
1/2.3-inch CMOS (total pixels: approx. 10.60 million pixels)
Focal length: f=4.9-52.5 mm
(Equivalent to 28-300 mm for 35 mm ﬁlm cameras. With Step Zoom set, focal lengths can be fixed at eight steps: 28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm, 105 mm, 135 mm, 200 mm, and 300 mm)
F-aperture: F3.5 (Wide) - F5.6 (Telephoto)
Shooting Distance: Normal shooting: Approx. 30 cm - infinity (Wide), approx. 1.5 m - infinity
(Telephoto) (from the front of the lens)
Macro: Approx. 1 cm - infinity (Wide), approx. 28 cm - infinity (Telephoto), approx. 1 cm -infinity (Zoom Macro) (from the front of the lens)
Lens Construction: 10 elements in 7 groups (aspheric lens: 4 elements and 5 surfaces)
Optical: 10.7x zoom (equivalent to 28-300 mm focal length for 35 mm cameras)
Digital: 4.8x up to 51.4x (equivalent to 1440 mm) when used with optical zoom
Auto Resize: 5.7x*1 up to 61.0x*1 (equivalent to 1710 mm) when used with optical zoom
Multi AF (Contrast AF method) / Spot AF (Contrast AF method) / Face-Priority
AF / Continuous AF / Multi-target AF / MF / Snap / ∞ (with AF Auxiliary Light)
Motion Blur Reduction:
Image sensor shift method image stabilizer
Shutter Speed: *2
Still image: 8, 4, 2, 1 - 1/2000 sec. / Movie: 1/30 - 1/2000 sec.
Continuous shooting speed: *3 approx. 5 frames/sec. (10M 4:3F shooting time; shooting speed after 12 pictures is approx. 3 frames/sec.)
Continuous shooting capacity: 999 pictures
Exposure Metering Mode: Multi Light Metering (256 segments) / Centre-weighted Light Metering / Spot Metering
Exposure Mode: Program AE
Exposure Compensation: Manual Exposure Compensation +/-2.0EV (1/3EV Steps), Auto Bracket Function (-0.5EV, ±0, +0.5EV)
ISO Sensitivity (Standard Output Sensitivity):
AUTO, ISO80 / ISO100 / ISO200 / ISO400 / ISO800 / ISO1600 / ISO3200
White Balance Mode:
Auto / Multi-pattern Auto / Outdoors / Cloudy / Incandescent Lamp / Incandescent Lamp 2 / Fluorescent Lamp / Manual Settings, White balance bracket function
Flash Mode: Auto flash (fires automatically in low-light conditions and when the subject is backlit) / Red-eye Flash / Flash On / Flash Synchro. / Flash Off
Built-in ﬂash range: Approx. 20 cm - 4.0 m (Wide), approx. 28 cm - 4.0 m (Telephoto) (ISO Auto/ISO1600, from the front of the lens)
Flash compensation: +/-2.0EV (1/3EV Steps)
3.0-inch Transparent LCD (approx. 920,000 dots)
Auto shooting mode / Scene auto mode / Dynamic range double shot mode / Continuous mode /Scene mode (Portrait / Sports / Pets /Night. Port. / Nightscape / Miniaturize / Landscape / High Sens / High Contrast B&W / Discreet Mode / Zoom Macro / Text Mode / Skew Correct Mode) / My settings mode / Movie mode
Picture Quality Mode: *4
F(Fine) / N(Normal)
No. of Pixels Recorded:
Still image/multi-picture: 3648 x 2736, 3648 x 2432, 2736 x 2736, 3648 x 2048, 2592 x 1944, 2048 x 1536, 1728 x 1296 (multi-picture only), 1280 x 960, 640 x 480
Movie: 1280 x 720, 640 x 480, 320 x 240
Text: 3648 x 2736, 2048 x 1536
SD memory card
SDHC memory card (up to 32 GB), Internal memory (approx. 88 MB)
Storage Capacity (Pictures/Time): *5 (internal memory approx. 88MB):
Still image/multi-picture: 3648 x 2736 (F: 22, N: 38), 3648 x 2432 (F: 25), 2736 x 2736 (F: 30), 3648 x 2048 (F: 30), 2592 x 1944 (F: 34), 2048 x 1536 (F: 54), 1728×1296 (N: 133) (M-Cont Plus), 1280 x 960 (F: 98), 640 x 480 (F: 402), 640 x 480 (N: 705)(Speed Cont)
Movie:*6 1280 x 720 (17 sec.), 640 x 480 (50 sec.), 320 × 240 (2 min. 1 sec.)
Recording File Format:
Still Image: JPEG (Exif ver. 2.21) *7
Multi-picture: CIPA DC-007-2009 Multi-Picture Format
Movie: AVI (Open DML Motion JPEG Format compliant)
Compression method: JPEG Baseline method compliant
Other Major Shooting Functions:
Continuous, Self-Timer (operation time: approx. 10 sec. / approx. 2 sec. / custom self-timer), Interval Timer (Shooting interval: 5 sec. - 1 hour (5 sec. steps), Color Bracket function, Focus Bracket function, AE/AF Target Shift, Histogram, Grid Guide, Electronic Level
Other Major Playback Functions:
Grid View, Enlarged Display (maximum 16x), Resize, Level Compensation, White Balance Compensation, Trim, Flag, Slideshow, DPOF Setting
USB 2.0 (High-Speed USB) Mini-B, Mass storage compatible*8 / AV Out 1.0Vp-p (75Ω)
Video Signal Format:
NTSC, PAL switchable
Rechargeable Battery: DB-100 x1
Battery Consumption: *9
Based on CIPA Standard: Using the DB-100, approx. 310 pictures (when LCD Dim is on) *10
101.5 mm (W) x 58.3 mm (H) x 29.4 mm (D) (according to CIPA guidelines)
Approx. 206 g (including the supplied battery and SD memory card)
Approx. 185 g (body only)
Operating Temperature Range:
*1. VGA image size
*2. Shutter speed upper and lower limits vary depending on Shooting Mode and Flash Mode.
*3. Values measured under Ricoh measurement conditions using a Panasonic PRO HIGH SPEED 8GB SDHC memory card. The continuous shooting speed and number of pictures will vary depending on the shooting conditions, the type of recording media used, the condition of the recording media, etc.
*4. The picture quality modes which can be set vary depending on the image size.
*5. Estimated number of still images it is possible to record and estimated amount of movie recording time.
*6. The maximum length for one instance of movie recording is 29 minutes.
*7. Compatible with DCF and DPOF. DCF is the abbreviation of the JEITA standard “Design rule for Camera File system.” (Full compatibility with other devices is not guaranteed.)
*8. Mass storage driver is compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS9.0-9.2.2, and Mac OSX10.1.2-10.6.1
*9 Shooting capacity was measured using CIPA-standard parameters. This is only an estimate, and performance may vary according to usage conditions.
*10 When LCD Auto Dim is off: approx. 290 pictures
* Windows is a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S.A. and other countries.
* Mac OS is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. in the U.S.A. and other countries.