According to the latest data released by Mercury Research Nvidia has continued to gain discrete GPU (dGPU) market share in its graphics tug-o-war with AMD. As we enter Q3 2015 the market researchers have published analysis data for Q2 2015 that quotes Nvidia's dGPU market share as being 82 per cent, leaving just 18 per cent to AMD.
The latest previous figures we published on HEXUS were from Jon Peddie's Q3 2014 market report, which showed Nvidia had just enjoyed a significant up-tick in market share to pass the 70 per cent mark. Apparently Mercury published Q4 2014 figures showing Nvidia were at 76 per cent a few months later. From these consecutive results and the new Q2 2015 market share graph, via Tweaktown above, the trend looks pretty bad for AMD.
Hopes that AMD could claw back market share thanks to the launch of its pioneering HBM equipped graphics card range and new Radeon 300 Series have not be realised in these most recent figures. That could be because there was hardly any availability of AMD's latest and greatest graphics cards during the most recent reported quarter and/or AMD is having supply problems. TweakTown suggests that AMD woes have been cemented by both supply problems and the uninspiring rebrands which make up the R300 series.
We will await the next set of GPU market share figures with great interest, to see the impact of a full quarter with AMD's latest range of graphics cards available. We may also see the launch of the highly anticipated AMD Fury Nano graphics card, pictured above, shortly. Interestingly there are indications that AMD might enjoy an upswing in popularity as DirectX 12 games start to emerge. The only DX12 game benchmarked so far seems to show that AMD's R9 390X offers neck-and-neck performance to the Nvidia GTX 980 for around £50 to £100 less wallet-hurt.