Razer has announced its Chroma Hardware Development Kit (HDK), designed to "take Chroma lighting beyond peripherals". This modular lighting system kit allows owners to add advanced, configurable, synchronisable RGB lighting to third party PC cases, entertainment centres, appliances, or wherever else you might wish (Xmas tree?).
Before this announcement Razer already had a burgeoning range of Chroma RGB lighting equipped PC systems and peripherals on offer. PC enthusiasts and gamers could already choose from a multitude of RGB illuminated laptops, keyboards, mice, headsets, and even mousemats in the RazerZone Store.
Now with the Razer Chroma HDK users can apply the same Razer Synapse 3 controlled RGB LED all-in-one frills to anything they choose. Razer supplies the HDK with two 2 LED strips that have 16 RGB LEDs each and there's the option to buy the Razer Lightpack Extension Kit with a further pair of RGB LED strips and extension cables. Of course these all can sync and illuminate along with your other Chroma PC hardware.
"Razer Chroma is the most advanced lighting configurator in the world, enjoyed by millions of gamers worldwide," said Min-Liang Tan, Razer co-founder and CEO. "The Chroma HDK allows us to take game immersion to the next level with PC cases, entertainment centers, appliances, and be used wherever else users desire."
- Razer Chroma HDK module with 4 lighting channels
- Includes 2 LED strips
- Install inside or outside your PC case
- Works with Razer Synapse 3 and Chroma Studio
- Razer Chroma SDK enabled Razer Chroma HDK with 4 channel lighting output
- USB connection for data and power
- DC output for additional power and brightness
- Included Molex to DC power adapter for internal case lighting
- Double sided adhesive tape for mounting
- Razer Synapse-enabled
- Razer Chroma SDK-enabled
Size and Dimensions
- Razer Chroma HDK: 10 cm x 7 cm x 1.5 cm / 3.9” x 2.7” x 0.6” inches
- LED strip length: 50 cm / 19.6”
- Extender cable length: 30 cm / 11.1”
- Micro USB data cable: 100 cm / 39”
- USB to DC power cable: 150 cm / 59”
- Razer Chroma HDK module
- 2 LED strips (16 LED’s each)
- 2 Extender cables
- Micro USB data cable
- USB to DC power cable
- 4-pin Molex to DC cable
- DC power adaptor
The Razer Chroma Hardware Development Kit costs US $79.99 / EU €99.99, and the extension kit adds a further US $28.99 / EU €34.99. At the time of writing HDKs are in stock and ready for shipping.