Revamped lineup includes world’s thinnest business and mobile workstation devices, industry-leading security features
- HP’s best-selling commercial notebook line[i] – the HP EliteBook 800 series – includes proprietary security features and collaboration tools to help increase productivity in the workplace.
- HP ZBook 14u/15u are world’s first mobile workstations with integrated privacy screens;[ii] HP ZBook 14u marks world’s thinnest mobile workstation.[iii]
- HP Endpoint Security solutions further strengthens the company’s leadership position as world’s most secure and manageable PCs[iv] and mobile workstations.[v]
- New HP Thunderbolt™ Dock G2 is world’s first Thunderbolt™ dock with audio conferencing solution.[vi]
- Designs and images are crisp and detailed with HP’s first 4K EliteDisplay[vii] and largest 4K Z Display.[viii]
GENEVA, Feb. 7, 2018 — HP Inc. today unveiled a range of new devices, displays and accessories designed for the modern workforce, including the rollout of several award-winning premium features to the best-selling HP EliteBook 800 series and HP ZBook 14u/15u mobile workstations. As the world’s most secure and manageable PCs and mobile workstations, these devices – along with the all-new HP Thunderbolt™ Dock G2 and expanded portfolio of four new HP 4K displays – will bring powerful innovation and premium experiences into the mainstream workforce.
“The game has changed and standard issued corporate devices of the past no longer meet the needs of the workforce of the future, particularly among Gen X to Gen Z professionals,” said Benoit Bonnafy, vice president, Business Personal Systems EMEA, HP Inc. “Our latest EliteBook and ZBook offerings set new standards for design, performance, and functionality. Whether it’s the world’s thinnest devices or the industry’s most robust security features, HP is redefining the commercial PC experience for the modern workforce.”
Today’s modern workforce requires greater flexibility in where and how work gets done. Sixty-two percent of people work from more than one location[ix] and 81 percent work during their personal time,[x] illustrating the need for devices that seamlessly connect any time, any place.
As boundaries around traditional workplaces are erased, security becomes even more important. Nearly 70 percent of organizations have reported compromised laptops in the past 24 months,[xi] demonstrating the need for robust security features that provide constant protection and resiliency in the event of an attack. At the same time, as workplaces become more collaborative, the need for innovative tools is on the rise. The PC is at the center of this shift, with laptops the most frequently used device for meetings and collaboration.[xii]
Premium Design & Experiences
Today’s announced devices each feature HP’s premium design language previously only available on the HP EliteBook 1000 series, with chiseled linear wedge profiles and anodized aluminum covers for sleek and strong devices that can hold up to the challenges of the workday. A standout feature for users who work in multiple, diverse locations, the EliteBook 800 series is the world's first business notebook with an ultra-bright display that automatically adapts to changing light conditions,[xiii] a feature also available on the ZBook 14u/15u.
Durability and sustainability go hand-in-hand as more businesses look to maximize their hardware investment and minimize their environmental impact. The EliteBook 800 series and the ZBook 14u/15u passed MIL-STD-810G testing[xiv] and are more easily serviceable than previous generations. The ZBook 14u/15u have industry-leading durability in a thin and light 14 and 15-inch form factor, as they passed two additional MIL-STD tests for bench handling and crash hazard shock for unpredictable conditions in technical environments. The devices in this lineup are ENERGY STAR® certified and EPEAT® Gold[xv] registered, reflecting HP’s commitment to sustainability.
The EliteBook 800 series features the world’s first notebooks with a world-facing, noise-cancelling microphone,[xvi] which removes unwanted sounds when in individual mode or enhances for 360-degree voice pick-up when in conference mode. The ZBook 14u/15u also carries this innovative feature for collaboration. All these devices come with the HP Premium Collaboration Keyboard, which features built-in keys to easily manage calls, and include HP PhoneWise, the world’s only Windows solution to text and call from the PC across iOS and Android™ devices.[xvii]
New PCs and Workstations include:
- The HP EliteBook 800 series is the first of several HP business notebooks to feature 8th generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processors, with up to 14 hours of battery life[xviii] to easily power a day’s worth of hard work and HP Fast Charge to charge 50 percent of the battery in just 30 minutes[xix].
- The HP EliteBook 830 G5 replaces the previous HP EliteBook 820 G4 with a 13-inch screen in a 12-inch notebook profile.
- The HP EliteBook 840 G5 is the world's thinnest 14-inch business notebook with 8th generation Intel® Core™ processors and discrete graphics[xx].
- Both the EliteBook 840 and the HP EliteBook 850 G5 include AMD Radeon™ RX540 discrete graphics for users who need greater performance for graphics-intensive workloads and collaboration applications.
- The HP ZBook 14u/15u mobile workstations now feature the popular HP Sure View for greater user and data privacy for technical mobile professionals, and are the world’s first mobile workstations with an integrated privacy screen. Both mobile workstations feature 8th generation Intel® Core™ Quad Core Processors with vPro™ technology and AMD Radeon™ Pro graphics for fast and reliable performance and 24/7 workloads, with more than 24 ISV certifications for CAD and design work and other professional applications.
- The HP ZBook 14u G5 is the world’s thinnest workstation[xxi] at just 17.9 mm and weighing 1.48kg (3.27 lbs).[xxii] The impressive design of the ZBook 14u is 28 percent thinner than the previous generation and includes an optional 4K touch display with anti-glare technology, ideal for technical professionals on the go.
- The newly refreshed HP ZBook 15u G5 also features Intel® Core™ i5 and i7 Quad Core Processors[xxiii] with vPro technology, AMD Radeon™ Pro 3D Graphics for performance and reliability, and up to 2 TB with the HP Z Turbo Drive high speed storage, for power users traveling to a conference room or across town. HP Performance Advisor assures optimal configuration, compatibility, and performance.
For a clean, sleek and productive desk, HP is announcing a new dock and 4K displays:
- The new HP Thunderbolt™ Dock G2 is the world’s most versatile Thunderbolt™ dock[xxiv] and its highly innovative design gives users a clean and functional working space while enabling IT to support any HP or non-HP device notebook with Thunderbolt™ and USB-C™ functionality. This compact dock provides power, supports up to two 4K displays, and is the world’s first Thunderbolt™ dock featuring an optional audio conferencing module[xxv] – great for closed offices, small huddle rooms, or focus rooms – all through a single cord.
- Pair the new dock with a variety of new 4K displays from HP for multitasking with clear, crisp content and applications. The HP EliteDisplay S270n is HP’s first 4K EliteDisplay that can pull video and data and send up to 60W of power to the PC with just one USB-C™ cable connection. To address the high standards of engineers and designers who need a consistent color calibration, the new HP Z27 and HP Z32 are factory color calibrated to meet the requirements of these users’ unique workloads. The HP Z43, HP’s largest 4K display, is for users who require a larger screen. All three 4K HP Z Displays offer 10-bit color so users can view over 1 billion colors, millions more than standard 6-bit or 8-bit displays. Also, each of the new 4K Z Displays offer a USB-C™ connection that not only connects video and data but delivers 65W of power back to the PC.
As security continues to be a priority for businesses and users, choosing the right PC hardware is increasingly becoming a security decision. This is why HP designs its EliteBooks and ZBooks to be the world’s most secure and manageable PCs and workstations5, now with even more security and manageability features to combat today’s threats.
Along with HP Sure View, HP Sure Click, Windows Hello, optional privacy camera, and HP Multi-Factor Authenticate,[xxvi] the EliteBook 800 series and ZBook 14u/15u also includes HP’s Endpoint Security Controller. This embedded hardware controller is part of HP’s built-in, not bolted-on, security solution that monitors, protects and recovers the BIOS, the operating system, and critical applications in the event of an attack. Unique to today’s announced devices, this physically isolated, cryptographically secured chip enables:
- HP Sure Start Gen 4: In the previous generation, HP Sure Start protected both the BIOS and the copy of the BIOS running in the system memory; Sure Start now offers enhanced encryption for better protection of the device and enhanced resilience and event logging for third party firmware[xxvii].
- HP Sure Run: Leveraging the Endpoint Security Controller, this newest feature extends hardware-enforced self-healing protection into the operating system by monitoring key processes and applications, such as antivirus, alerting both the user and IT if there are any changes, and restarting those processes automatically if stopped[xxviii].
- HP Sure Recover: Another new feature for 2018, this capability offers secure, automated, network-based software image recovery with only an internet connection. Without the help of IT, employees will be able to reimage a PC with HP’s or a company’s own software image even if the entire hard drive is wiped.[xxix]
“Security is a constantly evolving space – an area where no one can claim that they’ve solved security and how a PC OEM approaches security needs to be top priority when a business is making a purchase decision,” said Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst, Moor Insights & Strategy. “I applaud HP’s approach to endpoint security and its commitment to hardware security, as security should be an important consideration factor for anyone looking to purchase a PC.”
Pricing and Availability
- The HP EliteBook 830 G5 is expected to be available in EMEA in February for a starting price of €849.
- The HP EliteBook 840 G5 is expected to be available in EMEA in February for a starting price of €849.
- The HP EliteBook 850 G5 is expected to be available in EMEA in February for a starting price of €869.
- The HP ZBook 14u G5 is expected to be available in EMEA in February for a starting price of €909.
- The HP ZBook 15u G5 is expected to be available in EMEA in February for a starting price of €929.
- The HP Elite Thunderbolt Dock G2 is expected to be available in EMEA in May for a starting price of €249.
- The HP EliteDisplay S270n is available now for a starting price of €519.
- The HP Z27 will be available in EMEA in April for a starting price of €740.
- The HP Z32 is available now for a starting price of €999.
- The HP Z43 is available now for a starting price of €899.
To experience the devices announced today, visit the HP Booth (Hall 4, Stand 4B40) at Mobile World Congress Feb. 26 – March 1, 2018, and at Pepcom MobileFocus Global on February 26, 2018. For more information about HP Elite devices, visit www.hp.com/go/elite, and to learn more about HP’s mobile workstations, visit www.hp.com/go/workstations..
HP Inc. creates technology that makes life better for everyone, everywhere. Through our portfolio of printers, PCs, mobile devices, solutions and services, we engineer experiences that amaze. More information about HP Inc. is available at http://www.hp.com.
[i] Internal HP Line of Business reporting FY13-FY17, as of November 2017.
[ii] Based on currently available, in market mobile workstations as of January 25, 2018 having physically embedded hardware based privacy screen. HP Sure View is optional and must be configured at the factory.
[iii] Based on HP’s internal analysis of hinge height of ISV certified mobile workstations as of January 25, 2018.
[iv] Based on HP’s unique and comprehensive security capabilities at no additional cost and HP Manageability Integration Kit’s management of every aspect of a PC including hardware, BIOS and software management using Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager among vendors with >1M unit annual sales as of November 2016 on HP Elite PCs with 7th Gen and higher Intel® Core® Processors, Intel® integrated graphics, and Intel® WLAN.
[v] Based on HP’s unique and comprehensive security capabilities at no additional cost and HP’s Manageability Integration Kit’s management of every aspect of a PC including hardware, BIOS and software management using Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager among mobile workstation vendors as of Jan. 2017 on HP Mobile Workstations with 7th Gen Intel® Processors.
[vi] Based on Thunderbolt™ docking devices that provide charging and port replication to a host notebook PC having integrated speaker(s), microphone(s) and conferencing control buttons as of January 16, 2018. Requires optional HP TB Dock Audio Module.
[vii] As of February 7, 2018.
[viii] As of February 7, 2018.
[ix] HP, Quantitative Research with WW End Users, 2015
[x] C Space Primary Proprietary Research with online communities, 2015.
[xi] SANS 2016 Endpoint Security Survey.
[xii] C Space Primary Proprietary Research with online communities, 2015.
[xiii] Based on notebooks supporting a display panel with 400 nit or higher brightness and an ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts display brightness having preinstalled encryption, authentication, malware protection and BIOS-level protection, passing MIL-STD 810G tests with optional docking incorporating power delivery as of January 17, 2018.
[xiv] MIL-STD-810G testing is not intended to demonstrate fitness of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) contract requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions. Accidental damage requires an optional HP Accidental Damage Protection Care Pack.
[xv] EPEAT® registered where applicable. EPEAT registration varies by country. See www.epeat.net for registration status by country. Search keyword generator on HP’s 3rd party option store for solar generator accessories at www.hp.com/go/options.
[xvi] Based on business notebooks with both user-facing and world-facing noise cancelling microphones, as of January 17, 2018, having preinstalled encryption, authentication, malware protection and BIOS-level protection, passing MIL-STD 810G tests with optional docking incorporating power delivery.
[xvii] As of September 2017.
[xviii] Windows 10 MM14 battery life will vary depending on various factors including product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, use, wireless functionality, and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will naturally decrease with time and usage. See www.bapco.com for additional details.
[xix] Recharges the battery up to 50 percent within 30 minutes when the system is off or in standby mode. Power adapter with a minimum capacity of 65 watts is required. After charging has reached 50 percent capacity, charging will return to normal. Charging time may vary +/-10% due to System tolerance.
[xx] Based on notebooks having preinstalled encryption, authentication, malware protection and BIOS-level protection, passing MIL-STD 810G tests with optional docking incorporating power delivery as of January 17, 2018.
[xxi] Based on HP’s internal analysis of hinge height of ISV certified mobile workstations as of January 25, 2018.
[xxii] Disclose: Weight will vary by configuration.
[xxiii] Multicore is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. Performance and clock frequency will vary depending on application workload and your hardware and software configurations. Intel’s numbering, branding and/or naming is not a measurement of higher performance.
[xxiv] Based on Thunderbolt™ docks that support USB-C™ charging, video and the ability to deliver power to notebooks that require up to 200W power.
[xxv] Based on Thunderbolt™ docking devices that provide charging and port replication to a host notebook PC having integrated speakers(s), microphone(s), and conferencing control buttons as of January 16, 2018. Requires optional HP TB Dock Audio Module.
[xxvi] HP Multi Factor Authenticate requires 7th Generation Intel® Core™ processor, Intel® integrated graphics, and Intel® WLAN
[xxvii] Disclose: HP Sure Start Gen4 is available on HP Elite equipped with Intel® 8th generation processors.
[xxviii] HP Sure Run – HP Sure Run is available on HP Elite products equipped with Intel® 8th generation processors.
[xxix] HP Sure Recover– HP Sure Recover is available on HP Elite PCs with 8th generation Intel® or AMD processors and requires an open, wired network connection. You must back up important files, data, photos, videos, etc. before using HP Sure Recover to avoid loss of data.