Earlier in the week Nokia launched its first ever notch screen smartphone, the Nokia X6. At the time of the launch it was said to be a China only device, which is a shame as it packs an attractive set of mid-range features. However Nokia's Chief Product Officer, Juho Sarvikas, is currently running a Twitter poll on whether to intro this smartphone globally - and the votes are 92 per cent in favour, at the time of writing.
It is worth a recap on the key specifications of the "all-screen" Nokia X6 in case it does indeed go global and become widely available in the west. I've listed the most important features of the Nokia X6 below:
- Screen: a notched 5.8-inch FHD+ (2280 x 1080) display, 19:9 aspect ratio 2.5D display, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 SoC.
- Memory: 4GB of RAM and 32 or 64GB of internal eMMC 5.1 storage, or 6GB of RAM with 64GB storage. MicroSD card expansion up to 256GB available in all models.
- Cameras: front-facing 16MP camera with f/2.0 aperture, rear-facing 16MP f/2.0 1.0um pixels camera, paired with a 5MP monochrome camera with f/2.2 lens, 1.2um pixels, and flash.
- Wired connections: USB-C port (USB 2.0) for wired connectivity and (QuickCharge 3.0) charging duties. 3.5mm audio socket.
- Networking: LTE Cat. 4, 150Mbps DL/50Mbps UL, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, BT5.0.
- OS: Ships with Android 8.1 with Android P coming later in the year.
- Biometrics: Fingerprint scanner on back, front camera can be used for face-unlock.
- Physical: 147.2 x 70.98 x 7.99mm (ignoring camera bump).
- Power: 3060mAh battery.
- Blue, Black, and Silver variants.
In China, Nokia X6 smartphone pricing ranges from ¥1299 (£150) to ¥1699 (£200) depending upon specs.
Nokia 8 Sirocco lands in the UK
Some other Nokia news hit my email yesterday and I think it is worth mentioning here, for UK dwellers. The Nokia 8 Sirocco is now purchasable from Carphone Warehouse, John Lewis, Mobile Phones Direct and Amazon for a RRP of £649. This is Nokia's newest top-end phone and comes with the Android One update commitment. All customers will get a free Google Home Mini until 14th June, or until stocks run out.