Sky Mobile will offer the new Fairphone 3 in the UK – the latest ethical, modular smartphone from Fairphone, made with fairly sourced, recycled materials - and designed to last.
Fairphone, a Dutch social enterprise, develops smartphones that are designed and produced with reduced environmental impact. Their approach focuses on using responsibly-sourced, conflict-free, recyclable and Fairtrade materials, whilst also reducing e-waste, addressing the ‘throwaway’ culture in consumer electronics.
Sophia Ahmad, Director of Sky Mobile commented: “At Sky, we’re committed to creating a plastic-free future for our oceans by removing all single-use plastic by 2020 and ensuring high ethical standards are maintained across the business and our supply chain. It’s why we’re working with Fairphone, to give our customers the option to choose a sustainable mobile phone.”
Sky has achieved a 55% reduction in carbon intensity and sends 0% of waste from owned sites to landfill. Sky has also removed over 300 tonnes of single-use plastic from its business, including all product packaging, as part of Sky Ocean Rescue.
Fairphone CEO Eva Gouwens commented: “We envision an economy where consideration for people and the planet is a natural part of doing business. This is why we are creating scalable and replicable models in our impact areas for the industry and improve our supply chain and products step by step. But we cannot do this alone or overnight. To make lasting change possible, we need to transform the industry. The strongest signal that we can send is that there is a market for more sustainable products, which is why we developed the Fairphone 3 to be a real sustainable alternative on the market.”
The latest smartphone, Fairphone 3, is its most advanced modular phone to date, and aims to close the gap between performance and sustainability.
With a slimmer body than its predecessor, this phone is built to last – boasting a long battery life and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 632 processor, the Fairphone is perfectly designed for everyday use.
- Easy to use Android 9
- 12MP camera, 8MP front camera - great in low light
- Replaceable, long-life battery
- Fairly sourced and recycled materials
- Modular and repairable design
- Eco-friendly packaging
Available from Sky Mobile to pre-order from 27th August, with general release on 3rd September. The Fairphone 3 will start at £21 a month on a Swap 24 plan, or £26 a month on Swap 12, which includes 2GB data and Unlimited Calls and Texts.
Fairphone 3 – sustainability
Fairphone 3 is sold with sustainable and reusable packaging, a protective bumper for extra protection and modular earphones as an accessory. Based on Fairphone’s research, the modular infrastructure of a device can save 30% of CO2 emissions.
- Made with responsibly sourced and conflict-free tin and tungsten, recycled copper and plastics, and sources of Fairtrade gold. Fairphone is also setting up an initiative for better sourcing of cobalt, the key mineral for the energy transition
- To combat e-waste, the phone supports collection programs in countries such as Ghana and will reward buyers for using Fairphone’s recycle program to return their previous phones
Fairphone is collaborating with assembly partner Arima to improve employee satisfaction by improving worker representation, health, and safety and also working to bridge the gap between minimum and living wages in the factory
Sky Mobile plans at a glance:
- Roll – with Sky Mobile, unused data is automatically rolled into your Sky Piggybank each month so you get to keep it for up to three years. Unused data rolled into a Sky Piggybank can be redeemed if you need a data boost, or exchanged for money off a new phone, tablet, or mobile accessories
- Mix – Mix lets you to change your data allowance, up or down, each month to match how much you use, without changing contracts
- Watch – Sky Mobile’s newest feature gives you unlimited streaming on all Sky Apps, including Sky Go, Sky Sports and Sky Kids, without using your data. You can also download great entertainment to watch offline with Sky Go Extra at no additional cost
- Save – all Sky Mobile’s SIMO and handset plans come with free Unlimited Calls & Texts as standard
- Swap – Swap12 gives you the flexibility to upgrade your phone every year without changing contracts. Or choose Swap24 to guarantee Sky Mobile’s lowest monthly cost on any handset, with the option to upgrade after two years
With 24 million customers across seven countries, Sky is Europe’s leading media and entertainment company and is proud to be part of the Comcast group. Our 31,000 employees help connect our customers with the very best of Sports, News, the arts and to our own local, original content. Following the success of Sky originals like Chernobyl, Patrick Melrose, Das Boot and Gomorrah we launched Sky Studios and now plan to more than double our investment in original drama and comedy over the next five years.
Our technology allows customers to watch what they want, when they want, how they want, and as we connect millions of families to content they love, it is our responsibility to do it safely – that’s why we offer services like Sky Broadband Buddy and the Sky Kids app. And our online streaming service, NOW TV, brings viewers all the enjoyment of Sky with the flexibility of a contract-free service.
We also believe that a company of our scale has a responsibility that goes beyond our business, and into the community. Our Sky Ocean Rescue campaign has reached millions across Europe, we’re on track to be free of single-use plastic by 2020, we’re investing £25million over five years in ocean-saving tech and we’re a proud employer – recognised by The Times and Stonewall for our approach to inclusivity.
Fairphone is a social enterprise that is building a movement for fairer electronics. By making a phone, we’re opening up the supply chain and creating new relationships between people and their products. We’re making a positive impact across the value chain in mining, design, manufacturing and life cycle, while expanding the market for products that put ethical values first. Learn more on www.fairphone.com