Following the announcement of the Windows Phone 8.1 update Nokia and Microsoft took the opportunity to launch three new Lumia smartphones based upon the new mobile operating system. The Nokia Lumia 930 flagship, dual-SIM Lumia 630 and affordable Lumia 635 smartphones are variously expected to become available starting from next month, depending upon your region.
"Today we are introducing people to the best of Lumia and the best of Microsoft through three stunning devices based on Windows Phone 8.1. In addition to the new developments from Microsoft, Nokia is delivering people an uncompromised imaging experience, great design and better business phones," said Stephen Elop, executive vice president of Nokia's Devices & Services, introducing the new devices, detailed below.
Nokia Lumia 930
- 5-inch full HD OLED ClearBlack display with super-sensitive touch
- 2.2GHz Snapdragon 800 processor
- 2GB of RAM
- 32GB built-in storage, no SD card slot
- 20MP PureView Camera, dual-LED flash
- Four directional microphones
- Wireless charging
- 2420mAh battery
- 4G LTE connectivity, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC
- Nano SIM
- 137 x 71 x 9.8mm in size, 167g in weight
- Metal and polycarbonate construction
- Windows Phone 8.1
Weighing up the device it does seem to build upon the Nokia Lumia 925 with added processing power and also edge closer to the imaging prowess on offer in the Lumia 1020. However the Lumia 930 design beefs up the camera component quite noticeably and still avoids a lens bulge.
The Nokia Lumia 930 is expected to roll out globally in June starting with Europe, Asia, Middle East and India. Price will be approximately US$599 before tax.
Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM and Nokia Lumia 635
These smartphones are based upon the same core but vary, as you might guess, by their SIM options. The Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM is the first Lumia with 'Smart Dual SIM' which allows you to enable call waiting and call forwarding between two SIM cards and makes it easier to manage costs and social circles. There's also going to be a single-SIM Lumia 630 available. Meanwhile the Lumia 635 earns its small numerical increment by offering a single SIM config boasting 4G/LTE connectivity.
Core features of the Nokia Lumia 630/635 include:
- 4.5-inch FWVGA (854 x 480) ClearBlack, IPS LCD with Gorilla Glass 3
- 1.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 400 processor
- 512MB RAM
- 8GB storage + MicroSD card slot for cards up to 128GB
- Main camera of 5MP
- 1830mAh battery
- 129.5 x 66.7 x 9.2mm, 134g
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 and options of 3G, 4G/LTE, dual-SIM
- Swappable colour shells
- Windows Phone 8.1
The Nokia Lumia 630 is expected to become available from May, starting in Asia India/Middle East, South America and Europe, at US$159 for the single-SIM variant, and US$169 for the dual-SIM variant before tax. The Lumia 635 will begin to become available in the US this summer priced at US$189 before tax.