Maidenhead, UK. July 2, 2019: In an exclusive briefing to media, Three has announced bold plans set to significantly transform its future mobile network as it enters the latest technology evolution, 5G:
- Firmly set to continue to provide the best customer experience out of all the mobile network operators in the UK it has unveiled a £2bn infrastructure investment. This includes the acquisition of the UK’s leading 5G spectrum portfolio, a world first cloud core network from Nokia, and a super high-capacity smart antenna network
- The investment means Three will have the UK’s fastest 5G network that will be at least two times faster than any other UK mobile network operator. Plus it is the only operator that can offer a ‘true’ 5G experience. It paves the way for the 5G evolution which is predicted to transform everyday life through a wealth of wireless possibilities both inside and outside the home.
- Following successful trials in Camden and Wandsworth, Three’s 5G Home Broadband launch in August will be the first big milestone in Three’s 5G transformation plans. This offering will allow customers to simply ‘plug and play’ through a portable hub that can be plugged and unplugged into any socket and immediately a customer is connected. It signals the end of lengthy installation calls, wait times for engineers, line rental or a long-term contract. 5G wireless home broadband is estimated to save people £240 per year.[i]
- Three’s customers already use more than 3.5 times more data than the industry average and are currently using 8.3GB of data per month on average. Customer data demands has meant the network investment programme also involves upgrading its current 3G and 4G network so every customer’s experience improves. These upgrades are expected to deliver up to 400% improvements in speed and capacity alongside overall improved reliability
- Three is renamed the UK’s leading provider of data and achieved a four-point improvement in its Net Promoter Score to +19 by customers in Q1 2019.[ii] This is significantly ahead of the average NPS for the other mobile network operators of -3 in the same period, according to YouGov.
Three launched in 2003 as the UK’s first 3G only network, laying its foundations as the network that was born to be different. Today Three is a connectivity company that connects people to people, people to things and things to things and has more than 10 million customers.
An average Three customer uses 3.5 times more mobile data than the industry average and its network today covers 99% of the UK population. It has the highest Net Promoter Score (NPS) of any of the mobile network operators at +19, alongside +24 for its Employee NPS.
Three also has the UK’s leading 5G spectrum holdings with more than the rest of the industry combined. Three is the only operator able to meet the International Telecoms Union (ITU) 2020 standard for full 5G services. It will launch its first home broadband service this August with a commitment to deliver 5G to 25 towns and cities by the end of the year.
Three was voted the Best Network for Data at the Mobile Choice Consumer Awards, as well as Best Network for Roaming by uSwitch, and the Best High Street Retailer at the Mobile Industry Awards.
Three UK is part of the CK Hutchison Holdings Ltd group of companies which has mobile operations in 11 countries. We employ more than 4,800 people across our offices in Maidenhead, Glasgow and Reading and our 326 retail stores.