For the PSP 2000 seriesThe news that Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. is introducing the VOIP service, Skype to the PSP has now been officially confirmed today.
The service will be added to the PSP-2000 series (slim and light PSP) at the end of January and will enable consumers to communicate with other Skype users for free.
The following features have been announced:
- Free voice calls between Skype users
- Skype contact list management (view existing contacts, add new ones)
- Skype presence (see which friends are online and available to talk) - SkypeOut calls to make calls to landlines and mobile phones anywhere in the world (requires the purchase of Skype credit)
- Optional SkypeIn number that lets users receive calls on Skype from landlines and mobiles anywhere in the world (requires the purchase of Skype credit)
- View and modify Skype settings and account details (including username creation, SkypeOut settings, voicemail settings and call forwarding)
PSP users worldwide will be able to start using Skype features and services through a simple system software update scheduled in late January. After updating the PSP system software, a Skype icon will be added to the Network category in the home menu. PSP users who do not yet have a Skype username can register by clicking the icon and following the instructions. PSP users who already have a Skype username can immediately sign in by clicking the Skype icon and entering their username and password.