Taiwanese NAS specialist Synology has today launched its Disk Station Manager 2.0 September Beta, giving users the opportunity to put firmware v2.0.0702 through its paces.
The release targets newly-added business features such as RAID 6, built-in NFS, Link Aggregation and Virtual Host. In addition, Synology states that existing functionality such as Download Station 2, File Station, Audio Station, Photo Station and Surveillance Station has been given an extra coating of polish.
Edward Lin, marketing director of Synology, said:
"Synology never relents on perfecting our firmware upgrades, we aim to ceaselessly refine all existent applications while at the same time continuously develop and blend in more useful functions with their forerunners."
The key features of Disk Station Manager v2.0.0702 are listed by Synology as follows:
- Extra Data Protection: RAID 6 volume type cuts off the risk of volume failure and doubles the protection (4 or more bay models).
- Built-in NFS: No more trivial but inevitable manual process of setting up NFS is required. With built-in NFS option, users can set up privileges on the UI by a few checks only.
- Link Aggregation: Provides share-loading and failover support for dual-LAN-port models.
- Virtual Host: One single server to host multiple websites for a more efficient and economical purpose.
- Batch Users: Helps to create user accounts on a batch basis.
- HDD S.M.A.R.T.: Allows users to monitor, detect, and report the hard disks status to alert possible HDD failures.
- Enhanced Surveillance Station: A new option of alarm-recording mode is added, the performance on motion-detection recording mode is improved along with MPEG-4 support. Snapshot taking is also available. In addition, almost 70 IP camera models are now found on the support list.
- Enhanced Local Backup: Enables multiple scheduled Local Backup tasks with the assistance of Local Backup wizard.
- Enhanced FTP Server: Presents the advanced privilege of "write-only", limits maximum connections from each individual IP, and supports UTF-8 language mode.
- NEW Download Station 2: Supports two new download channels – eMule and NZB, and allows partial file download form BitTorrent.
- Enhanced File Station: Users can now login on a separate page and customize the webpage banner in their own fashion.
- Enhanced Audio Station: No USB speakers are required for playing music stored on the server anymore. The new streaming mode streams music to the client PC and delivers by built-in speakers.
- Enhanced Photo Station 3: Supports theme customisation, PicLens 3-dimensional browsing, and delivers embellished photo slideshow.
- Enhanced Hibernation: Improved hibernation mechanism is introduced particularly for Western Digital hard drives not sleeping while in hibernation.
The firmware upgrade applies to the following models: DS508, RS408/RS408-RP, RS407, CS407, DS207+, DS107+, CS407e, DS207, DS107,DS107e, DS108j, DS-106j, and will be the last firmware update for DS-101j, DS-106, DS-106e, CS-406, CS-406e, RS-406.
Official Disk Station Manager beta website: Synology.com/enu/support/beta/