Razer has just notified us that it has updated its Blade 14-inch laptop for gamers with an Intel Kaby Lake processor. The 2017 Razer Blade doesn't just receive this CPU upgrade over last year's model, Razer also delivers a GTX 10 series GPU, faster memory, and a new 4K UHD screen option to potential purchasers.
Last year the Razer Blade packed the potent combination of an Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core Processor (2.6GHz / 3.5GHz) and Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M (6GB GDDR5 VRAM) into a slim unibody 0.70-inch / 17.9mm aluminium chassis. This year that power plant has been replaced with the latest Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad-Core Processor (2.8GHz / 3.8GHz), plus Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 VRAM). The chassis remains a slim 17.9mm.
Elsewhere Razer has improved its Blade offering with faster memory DDR4 2400MHz rather than 2133MHz, and extra screen options. Last year there was a single screen choice; a 14.0-inch IGZO QHD+ 16:9 Ratio, 3200x1800, with LED backlight, and capacitive multi-touch. This year there are two options; a 14-inch IPS Full HD Matte (1920 x 1080), or a 14-inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) capacitive multi-touch screen. It’s a shame there's no 2K screen option.
"The Razer Blade sets the benchmark for performance in thin laptops," said Min-Liang Tan, Razer co-founder and CEO, in a press release about the 2017 Razer Blade. "More users embraced this flagship computer model in 2016 than ever before, and we are excited to make it even more available worldwide this year. Beyond gaming, it has been really gratifying to see people enjoying the power and portability of the Blade for video editing, music creation and software development."
Availability of the 2017 Razer Blade will start from today: RazerZone.com in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany and France will have stock from 13th Feb (today). Selected other retailers will have stocks from 20th Feb. Starting prices are US$1,899 / C$2,749 / €2,149 / £1,799. Meanwhile, Razer has scheduled rest of the world availability for March.
- Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad-Core Processor (2.8GHz / 3.8GHz)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 VRAM)
- 16GB System Memory (DDR4, 2400MHz)
- Windows 10 64-bit
- 256GB / 512GB / 1TB SSD (PCIe M.2) options
- 14-inch IPS Full HD Matte (1920 x 1080) / 14-inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) capacitive multi-touch options
- Anti-ghosting keyboard with per-key lighting powered by Razer Chroma
- Killer Wireless-AC 1535 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.1)
- Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)
- USB 3.0 port x3 (SuperSpeed)
- HDMI 2.0 video and audio output
- 3.5mm headphone/microphone combo port
- Built-in webcam (2.0MP)
- Built-in stereo speakers
- Array microphone
- Dolby Digital Plus Home Theatre Edition
- 7.1 Codec support (via HDMI)
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM 2.0) security chip embedded
- Razer Synapse enabled with programmable keyboard, trackpad, backlighting, and fan control
- Kensington security slot
- Compact 165W power adapter
- Built-in 70Wh rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery
- Approx. Size: 0.70-inch / 17.9mm (Height) x 13.6-inch / 345mm (Width) x 9.3-inch / 235mm (Depth)
- Approx. Weight (Full HD): 4.10lbs. / 1.86kg
- Approx. Weight (UHD): 4.30lbs. / 1.95kg