Sony has announced some new “smaller, lighter, weatherproof” digital recording binoculars going by the model name DEV-50V. These new binoculars, Sony’s second generation, feature a wide zoom and magnification range from 0.8x to 25x, auto-focus, image stabilization, and 2D or 3D capture and playback, even in low light situations.
Sony suggests these new binoculars will be especially suitable for capturing and observing “rare wildlife activity, monumental sports plays and scenic travel views”. The new binoculars have an impressive spec, as you can read below, however when they debut in June in the US the price tag will be approximately US$2,000.
“With the DEV-50V, you can observe wildlife in a way no other binoculars can achieve,” said Hidenori Toyoda, director of the camcorder business at Sony Electronics. “Couple that with its ability to capture impressive photos and video, and you have an innovative device that outperforms the competition on all levels.”
The key hardware spec of the Sony DEV-50V 3D digital recording binoculars is as follows
- Optics: Sony “G Lens”. 0.8x to 12x optical zoom going up to 25x using digital zoom. Electronic autofocus. Optical image stabilisation.
- Sensor: 20.4 megapixel 1/3.91'' (4.6mm) Exmor R CMOS sensor can record photos and 1080p movies. BIONZ® processor can show a “true stereoscopic view” or record “thrilling 3D video for playback on virtually any 3D-compatible TV”. Sony also utilises “Hyper Gain” to make low light situations viewable.
- Sound: Dolby® Digital 2ch Stereo.
- Viewfinder: XGA OLED Tru-Finder works well in all conditions including low light. Diopter adjustment of 3.5 - +3.5.
- Connectivity: HDMI out, USB connection, headphone jack, microphone input jack. Memory Stick or SD/ SDHC/ SDXC Memory Card (Class 4 or Higher). GPS receiver for geo-tagging.
- Battery: NP-FV70 battery pack allows up to approximately three hours of 2D recording on a single charge.
- Physical: 148.5mm x 72.5mm x157.5mm, 765g
These new binoculars are 30 per cent lighter than their predecessors and they are splash-proof and dust-resistant. They would make a perfect gift for twitcher friends and relatives or for taking on your next safari.