vacancies advertise contact news tip The Vault
facebook rss twitter

AMD CPU sales outpace those of Intel at leading German etailer

by Mark Tyson on 4 September 2017, 12:01

Tags: AMD (NYSE:AMD), NVIDIA (NASDAQ:NVDA)

Quick Link: HEXUS.net/qadlew

Add to My Vault: x

August saw AMD overtake Intel in CPU sales at one of Germany's leading online computer components retailers. The latest figures for market shares at MindFactory.de have AMD selling the lion's share of desktop PC processors, furthermore it is now a better revenue generator for the retailer. Reddit user ingebor published these interesting sales system charts (via NeoWin).

The first AMD Ryzen CPUs were launched in March this year. HEXUS started its review coverage with the top end Ryzen 7 1800X and quickly went on to review the Ryzen 7 1700X and 1700 in the same month. AMD started to bring Ryzen to the mainstream in April with the Ryzen 5 1500X and Ryzen 5 1600X followed by its cheapest four- and six-core Ryzen 5 1400 and Ryzen 5 1600 processors.

In May it was noted that AMD Ryzen 5 processors were the most warmly welcomed CPUs, from any vendor, in seven years. With SKUs such as the Ryzen 5 1600X very much leaders in various HEXUS bang4buck comparison tables, one could easily predict retail success should follow. According to these latest retail figures from Germany, Ryzen certainly is succeeding in this respect.

Looking at the data we have from ingebor, back in March the position for AMD was very much weaker than it is now. It was overshadowed with a 28 per cent market share of monthly CPUs sold, with of course Intel making up the rest of the numbers, 72 per cent. Revenue figures weren't quite as bad. From June onwards we can really see the tide turn in AMD's favour, we expect it coincides with supplies of Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 processors and associated motherboards becoming plentiful, followed by modest price cuts, and continued media coverage.

The graphs might look a bit complicated but just for an overview you can quickly see that the left side bar for a particular month corresponds to AMD Ryzen processor models, and the right side bar is for Intel Core processors. Particularly successful SKUs for AMD and Intel appear to be the Ryzen R5 1600 and Core i7-7700K respectively.

It would be great to see further updates to these graphs and some from other big retailers in the US and UK, for example.

Raw SKU sales quantity / unit price / monthly from MindFactory - click to zooom in.



HEXUS Forums :: 15 Comments

Login with Forum Account

Don't have an account? Register today!
Interesting that the r3 isn't selling in big quantities, wonder if the i3 is the same though as it isn't on these charts despite the r3 being on there at the same price point.
LET ME ASK: the R5 and R3 are cheaper than intel counterparts because they lack iGP, apparently iGP in i3 cost upwards of $30? So would you ditch more cores for iGP?
lumireleon
LET ME ASK: the R5 and R3 are cheaper than intel counterparts because they lack iGP, apparently iGP in i3 cost upwards of $30? So would you ditch more cores for iGP?

No, not until APUs come out anyway. And tbh the A10 series are still pretty good or I'll think about an i3. Considering the low powered nature, if someone came to me just wanting a word processor and browsing, I would send them a NUC which is Intel i-series atm (until AMD Ryzen-Vega APUs). However if I were to be building a full form PC and it were for any form of gaming, I would go Dedicated 100% of the time.
Honestly it doesn't surprise me that the R3 isn't selling too well - at least in Europe. Just about the only reason to buy a cheap CPU and a separate graphics card is a cheap gaming computer, and in games the i3 does pretty well. Plus at that end of the price spectrum there is always competition from either buying a second-hand i3/i5 office desktop and throwing a graphics card at it or spending a little extra and getting the much better R5.

I doubt the R3 will fare too well in the near future either unless AMD release a native quad, as a half-disabled octocore chip is going to struggle to be price competitive versus Coffee Lake i3 quads.

Still it is good to see AMD doing so well with Ryzen. They cannot rest idly though as Coffee Lake is going to make desktop Ryzen's life very hard - unless AMD can get their Vega APUs to run GPGPU loads such as transcoding and game physics to give it an edge - and if Intel get their CPU PCIE links upgraded to PCIE4 significantly in advance of AMD then AMD's big plus on the server/workstation market (where they look like crushing Intel over the next few months) will fall by the wayside.
as we have seen AMD is not asleep, Lisa Lu and many others have said the Zen 2 architecture is already baked.