RPG online heaven
Phantasy Star Universe was unveiled at E3 in 2004, it then re-appeared at E3 in 2005 and was slated for a 2006 release date. Sega have now confirmed that Phantasy Star Universe will be released on multiple platforms, this Autumn.
As well as a single player campaign, the action adventure will also feature multiplayer, which will include Xbox live support.
"The reinvigoration of this beloved franchise on the Xbox 360 signifies another step for SEGA towards next-gen leadership," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Entertainment Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "Phantasy Star has a rich history, and now with Phantasy Star Universe in support of the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, gamers can enjoy a fantasy role-playing experience of unprecedented depth both online with their friends, and offline in the robust single-player game."
From the press release:
Developed by SEGA Studios, Phantasy Star Universe offers long-time fans the single-player experience they have been clamoring for. The solo adventure features more than 40 hours of gameplay, an emotionally engaging story, stunning cut scenes, and a strong cast of characters with very distinctive personalities. The title's hero is Ethan Waber, a 17-year old cadet who begins his epic journey by first rescuing his sister at the GUARDIANS, a colony under siege by mysterious life forms known as THE SEED.
In Online Mode, players are given the opportunity to create their own characters from a range of races, as they explore all three planets in the Gurhal system. Fans can travel with their friends as a squad of six adventurers, enter urban sprawls teeming with hundreds of other players, and build their avatars into powerful warriors.
Phantasy Star Universe will offer a rich and constantly evolving world that will provide months of entertainment to fans of the series and RPG enthusiasts. The game is slated to ship in Fall 2006.
Key Product Features:
• Epic Story: Phantasy Star Universe offers a suspenseful single player adventure that fans have been clamoring for.
• Phantasy Star Brand Heritage: Since 1988, the franchise has evolved, and produced seven series to date – building itself as one of the most well established RPG franchises.
• Real-time battles where players choose their own strategies: Choose from over 200 weapon variations in over 20 weapon categories for melee, technique, or ranged-type combat. Players can also select numerous Photon Arts to defeat enemies.
• World Class Score: Soundtrack produced by premier orchestras and vocals from Poland, Hollywood, and New York.
• Online Gameplay: Offering the Best of Both Worlds
- Multiplayer: Create a squad of up to six players to explore the universe and conquer quests.
- Endless gameplay: In addition to over 40 hours of offline gameplay, gamers can spend endless hours online customizing
characters, searching for rare items, leveling up, and joining friends for exhilarating new quests.
• Variety in transportation: Player-controlled vehicles offer a new type of gameplay for the Phantasy Star franchise.
• Character Customization: Go beyond standard customization for your character with precise measurements, an endless color palette, and outlandish outfits.
• Massive enemies: Over 20 unique enemy species, totaling over 200 enemy variations.
More screenshots on the next page (screenshots from PS2 version)