Not long after introducing a pair of tiny fanless Apollo Lake powered BRIX computers Gigabyte has followed up with a similarly designed but slightly larger Intel Core i3 processor packing machine. The Gigabyte BRIX GB-EKi3A-7100 offers a significant step up in performance, with its Core i3-7100U Kaby Lake processor (15W), while maintaining the fan-free design.
Gigabyte's BRIX GB-EKi3A-7100 is classed as one of its IoT targeted machines. Of course, as a PC it can be deployed however you might see fit. With the nippy 2C/4T CPU, Intel HD Graphics 620, up to 32GB of RAM, M.2 PCIe storage, USB 3.1 ports, and Windows 10 support there's not much holding you back from doing many things your desktop does - other than GPU limited activities.
The BRIX GB-EKi3A-7100 can be VESA mounted to the back of a TV, for example, and it can handle 4K HD entertainment with HDMI 2.0 and support for HDCP 2.2. Furthermore, it can power three independent displays via its HDMI 2.0 and a DisplayPort ++. All together it sounds like an adept, silent running, media machine.
A summary of Gigabyte BRIX GB-EKi3A-7100 tech specs follows:
- Dimensions: 36 mm x 117 mm x 180 mm (1.42" x 4.61" x 7.09")
- CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U Processor up to 2.40GHz, Dual core (TDP 15W)
- Memory: 2 x SO-DIMM DDR4 slots (DDR4 1.2V), 2133 MHz, Max. 32GB
- LAN: Gigabit LAN (Intel i219LM), Wi-Fi Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 620
- Audio: Realtek ALC255
- HDMI Resolution (Max.): 4096 x 2160 @ 60Hz (HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2), Mini DP Resolution (Max.) 4096 x 2304 @ 60Hz
- Expansion Slots: 1 x M.2 slot (2280_storage) PCIe / SATA, 1 x M.2 NGFF 2230 A-E key slot occupied by Wi-Fi + BT card
- Front I/O: 1 x Power Button, 1 x Headphone / Microphone jack, 1 x USB 3.1 type C, 1 x USB 3.1 type A, 1 x COM (RS232)* (* COM Port is supported by driver in window OS, not support Ring Indicator (RI) function.)
- Rear I/O: 2 x USB3.0, 1 x RJ45, 1 x Mini DisplayPort (1.2), 1 x HDMI (2.0), 1 x DC-In
- Side I/O: 1 x Kensington lock slot, 2 x Antenna SMA connector (for Wi-Fi)
- Storage: Support 1 x M.2 slot (2280_storage) PCIe /SATA
- Power Supply: DC 19/12 volt power adapter (Shipment 19V/65W)
- VESA: Bracket included, Supports 75 x 75 and 100 x 100 mm
- Support OS: WIN10 64bit
- System Fans: Fanless
From the pictures you can see how this Kaby Lake i3 BRIX dissipates any waste heat generated. It has vents front and back for passive airflow but most of any heat generated likely rises from the heavily finned top plate of the compact chassis.
I don't have pricing and availability details here. However, a barebone BRIX with a very similar codename, and basically the same internals (but in an active fan cooler equipped larger 'NUC-like' chassis) retails at £299 in the UK.
News tip via FanlessTech