One of the largest firms in the NAS storage world right now is Synology; which is known for its strength in delivering a range of products from affordable single-disk NAS offerings to, more recently, full enterprise storage offerings and, despite this diverse range, the firm offers up the same, fully-functional, DiskStation Manager software solution on the full range of its products, leaving consumers with only the choice of how many disks and how much performance.
Today, Synology announced the release of DiskStation Manager 4.0. The new software offers up some rather impressive and rather useful features, which could add some serious value to the product range for some users.
New Home and Home Office Features:
- Antivirus Essential- Included antivirus software
- Improved Apple support- added support for Airport Express/Extreme and integration with iCloud saves time in configuration
- Enhanced mobile support- updated apps for iOS, Android (including tablets), and Amazon Kindle Fire
- Cloud Station and QuickConnect- for easy file synchronization
- Improved Package Center
- Improved ADS/ACL support- Edit and audit ACLs from within DSM
- Improved notification system- Users can select which events will notify and which methods will be used (email, SMS, instant messaging, and even push notifications)
- VPN client- The DiskStation can now act as a VPN server or client
- VLAN support- DiskStations can now work over VLAN segments
- DHCP server
- Scheduled SMART scans
- LUN backup software