With World Backup Day - March 31st, less than 48 hours away Western Digital publishes the results of a very recent UK survey on consumer backup habits.
Western Digital® has announced the results of a UK consumer survey held on March 27th 2012, which reveals that 68% of consumers now backup their important information held on personal computers, which compares very favourably with the 31% who did so in a similar survey in 2008. This could be because 45% of those surveyed had lost data through computer crashes, virus attack, theft and other reasons! The survey also revealed that the most important information consumers store on their computers is photos and videos at 57%, with private documents coming in at 25%. So consumers are clearly learning that their information is important to them and should be backed up onto a separate medium - which is the good news.
The survey also reveals, however, that worryingly only 22% of people backup their computers in real time or several times a week. This leaves 78% at risk of losing data with irregular backup habits. If these people are added to the 32% who do not backup at all, there is still a very large number of people taking a chance with their important information.
"WD supports the World Backup Day as official sponsors", said Danny Mauerhofer, WD Head of Public Relations EMEA & India,"because we really feel that there is a long way to go, and a lot of educational work to be done, before people understand the importance of making a copy of their data. Our vision is that in a couple of years data loss will be only found as a topic in history books."
WD has recently announced their new My Passport® line of portable hard drives, which together with the My Book® desktop family provide continuous computer backup through WD SmartWareTM. These products make backing up your personal data simple, easy and automatic.
To help generate greater awareness of World Backup Day and the importance of backing up data, WD has also commissioned some fun videos. You can follow WD special agent Peter Brooke on his mission through London with this link to the trailer video for theWD backup Trilogy - bit.ly/Hkv4Qc . The other videos will be published throughout the day on Saturday March 31st on the Western Digital YouTube channel and on WD UK facebook page - http://on.fb.me/H0nM8X.
WD, a storage industry pioneer and long-time leader, provides products and services for people and organisations that collect, manage and use digital information. The company designs and produces reliable, high-performance hard drives and solid state drives that keep users' data accessible and secure from loss. Its storage technologies serve a wide range of host applications including client and enterprise computing, embedded systems and consumer electronics, as well as its own storage systems. Its home entertainment products enable rich engagement with stored digital content.
WD was founded in 1970. The company's products are marketed to leading OEMs, systems manufacturers, selected resellers and retailers under the Western Digital®, WD® and HGSTTM brand names. Visit the Investor section of the company's website (www.westerndigital.com) to access a variety of financial and investor information.