HGST Ultrastar SAS SS300 SSD Delivers Class-Leading 12Gb/s SAS SSD Performance
SAN JOSE, CA — May 16, 2017 — Western Digital Corp. (NASDAQ: WDC), a global data storage technology and solutions leader, today announced the HGST-branded Ultrastar® SS300, the company’s highest-performing SAS SSD to date. It is the latest addition to the company’s family of Ultrastar 12Gb/s SAS SSDs, which are used to meet the rigorous data demands of many of the world’s largest companies today. Developed in partnership with Intel, the new Ultrastar SS300 delivers best-in-class random performance, offering speeds of up to 400,000 IOPS random read and up to 200,000 IOPS random write1.
“Today, we raise the bar with our newest 12Gb/s SAS SSD, the Ultrastar SS300,” said Ulrich Hansen, vice president of SSD product marketing at Western Digital Corporation. “Built with high-endurance 3D NAND flash memory, the Ultrastar SS300 offers best-in-class speed, outstanding capacity and intelligent power options that enable customers to tailor storage systems and server solutions that are just right for their demanding needs. These benefits are delivered with the same tremendous reliability that has helped to make Ultrastar 12Gb/s SAS SSDs popular around the globe.”
The Ultrastar SS300 is ideal for the intensive data demands of virtualized storage systems, databases and private and hybrid cloud environments. It offers capacities up to 7.68TB, giving data center architects the potential to reduce the number of drives, consolidate servers and open up valuable rack space. The new Ultrastar SS300 is offered in a variety of endurance classes and comes with a range of features and power settings. This includes a 14-watt power envelope that can unlock additional performance capabilities and an ultra-low power setting for more efficient energy consumption. With this variety of options and high capacity, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) have a greater flexibility to create next-generation data center storage systems that address a wide variety of workloads and total cost of ownership (TCO) requirements.
“The use of Intel technology in the Ultrastar SS300 12Gb/s SAS SSD complements Western Digital’s commitment to offering exceptional solutions to meet their customers’ needs,” said Bill Leszinske, vice president of strategic planning, marketing and business development at Intel Corporation. “Our long-standing relationship with Western Digital to develop SAS SSDs has been very productive, providing leadership solutions for the storage community worldwide.”
Additional Ultrastar SS300 12Gb/s SAS SSD features and specifications include:
- Sequential read and write speeds of up to 2050 MB/s2
- Four endurance choices, from 0.5 to 10 drive writes per day
- Offers a choice of security options, including Instant Secure Erase (ISE), Self-Encrypting Drive (SED)-compliant with TCG Enterprise and SED-compliant with TCG Enterprise with FIPS 140-2 certification
The Ultrastar SS300 SSD is currently shipping to OEM partners. It joins Western Digital’s broad range of HGST-brand and SanDisk-brand enterprise grade storage solutions, which includes innovative helium enterprise hard disk drives as well as SAS, NVMe™ and SATA SSD solutions.
Additional product information can be found in the Ultrastar SS300 SAS SSD datasheet.
- “With the increasing volume and velocity of data being generated every day, we felt it was crucial to partner with a trusted leader in the SAS SSD market. This is why Oracle chose the HGST-brand Ultrastar SS300 SAS SSD to deliver next-generation hybrid and all-flash solutions for the data center. Not only has the Ultrastar SS300 significantly improved performance consistency and quality of service (QoS), but the capacity increase also enabled a reduction in TCO.” – Ofer Michael, senior vice president, Storage, Oracle
- “SAS SSD adoption continues to see strong growth across a variety of critical enterprise applications. Western Digital’s newest 12Gb/s SAS SSD, the Ultrastar SS300, offers the optimum balance of performance, capacity and cost for the most demanding workloads.” – Greg Wong, founder and principal analyst, Forward Insights
About Western Digital
Western Digital is an industry-leading provider of storage technologies and solutions that enable people to create, leverage, experience and preserve data. The company addresses ever-changing market needs by providing a full portfolio of compelling, high-quality storage solutions with customer-focused innovation, high efficiency, flexibility and speed. Our products are marketed under the HGST, SanDisk and WD brands to OEMs, distributors, resellers, cloud infrastructure providers and consumers. Financial and investor information is available on the company's Investor Relations website at investor.wdc.com.
1 – Based on internal testing results for 100% 4KiB random reads or writes. Performance may vary by capacity point, or with changes in useable capacity. Consult product manual for further details.
2 – Based on internal testing results for 100% 128KiB sequential reads or writes. Performance may vary by capacity point, or with changes in useable capacity. Consult product manual for further details.