In a bid to never miss a sporting moment, Logitech reveals that one in ten Brits will be watching an event on more than one screen this summer
LONDON, UK - 8 June, 2012 - Research by Logitech, in conjunction with Opinion Matters, has found that one in ten of British respondents will be watching different types of sport on more than one screen, in a bid to catch all the sporting action this summer. Of the one in ten Brits that watch sport on more than one device - such as tablets, TVs or smartphones - men are slightly ahead of women, with 10 percent taking the dual-screen option compared to 9 percent of women. Interestingly, over three quarters (76 percent) of British men control the remote, which means there is more of a need than ever this year for different screens to ensure we all get the chance to watch the sport of our choice.
Rules of engagement
With so much sport to choose from this summer, there's likely to be tournaments that we're interested in but may have little understanding of. With more matches and events come more rules to learn, and the research also unveiled some insightful statistics on the differences between men and women when it comes to understanding the rules of the sport we will be watching, whether that is swotting up on or, conversely, pretending to know, the rules of sporting events. These include:
- Men know best: Over half of British men compared to 40 percent of British women already understand the rules, so don't feel the need to learn them
- Knowledge is power: However, almost a quarter (23 percent) of British women are more likely to learn a few key stats before a game to look knowledgeable
- Faking it: Nearly one in ten British men pretend to know the rules, and just over one in ten (12 percent) of British women do the same, as it makes for an easier life
- Men on top: While watching the sporting event together, just under a quarter (24 percent) of British men will be checking for information about the players on their tablet or laptop, whereas 19 percent of British women will be searching for information so they're up-to-date on all of the latest facts
"This summer's sporting events are set to captivate the nation, and more people than ever will want to be able to share that experience with friends, whether that's in person in their living room watching TV with friends and family, or through social media," says Frédéric Boutin, Senior Manager, Digital Home at Logitech. "We know that the living room will be the main hub for all activity for those who want to watch the sport on their TVs, and the Harmony remote allows for better control over all the sport that's available on the TV over the summer, plus it does away with the need for extra remotes."
With more people using a variety of screens to watch different sporting events, Logitech helps you to have the best viewing experience this summer. If you're going to be watching the sport on your TV, why not use the Harmony One+ Universal remote control, a universal remote that controls up to 15 other devices. It's easy and fast to set up which is perfect if you don't want to miss out on any sport this summer. If you're a tablet user, Logitech's range of iPad accessories - such as the Logitech AV Stand for iPad and Logitech Speaker Stand - will suit your every need and make using your tablet or smartphone more comfortable.
Logitech has partnered with Puma to offer all those who purchase a Logitech Harmony One+, 900 or 1100 Universal remote control a Puma voucher worth €20 Euro. For more information, see point of sale materials at all Logitech stockists.
Top 5 tips on how to make your living room the perfect place to watch sport this summer
1. Firstly, get familiar with the sporting events and matches that are being screened on TV and plan what you want to watch and when, so you can make the most of the sporting summer.
2. Figure out how many people you will have joining you to watch the event and have a look at your living room. Key things to consider include whether there are enough comfortable seats for everyone (if not, invest in some beanbags or large cushions), whether the TV can be seen from everyone's viewpoint and that people aren't sitting too close to the TV or one another.
3. Consider the technology you have in your living room. There are some excellent surround sound speakers on the market, as well as high quality HD TVs, which can bring you closer to the action. Invest in the Logitech Harmony One+ Universal remote which will allow you to control up to 15 gadgets with one remote making sure your TV viewing experience is the best it can be.
4. Think about the food and drink you will supply - keeping everyone fed and watered will make for a happy viewing experience. Perhaps buy a mini fridge so you can store some drinks in the living room and reduce the number of times you have to walk to the kitchen.
5. If you want to watch sporting events simultaneously, think about setting up your tablet or smartphone alongside your TV to allow you to watch on another streaming channel. Logitech has a great range of iPad accessories - such as the Logitech AV Stand for iPad and Logitech Speaker Stand - that will make using your tablet or smartphone more comfortable.
Logitech Harmony One+ Universal Remote
The Logitech Harmony One+ remote is simple to setup and easy for anyone to use. With touch-screen, it gives you enhanced control over your home entertainment devices, providing you with one-touch access to all your favourite programs and entertainment activities.
Logitech AV Stand for iPad
Watch and share video on your TV with this remote controlled speaker, stand and charging station. The versatile stand can be adjusted to just about any angle. Lay it low for typing or stand it upright for easy viewing, it can be used portrait or landscape.
Logitech Speaker Stand
Elevate your listening experience with this all-in-one speaker, stand and charging station. Power controls are easily accessible, the angle of the stand is simple to adjust, and the stand can charge your iPad, even when the speaker isn't turned on.
Pricing and Availability
Logitech Harmony One + - RRP from £129, available from www.logitech.com
Logitech AV Stand for iPad - RRP £69.99, available from www.logitech.com
Logitech Speaker Stand - RRP £49.99, available from www.logitech.com.
About the research
Research was carried out for Brands2Life by Opinion Matters between 23/03/2012 and 28/03/2012. All research questions and responses across the following countries are available on request: Poland, UK, France, Germany, and the Netherlands.
Logitech is a world leader in products that connect people to the digital experiences they care about. Spanning multiple computing, communication and entertainment platforms, Logitech's combined hardware and software enable or enhance digital navigation, music and video entertainment, gaming, social networking, audio and video communication over the Internet, video security and home-entertainment control. Founded in 1981, Logitech International is a Swiss public company listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange (LOGN) and on the Nasdaq Global Select Market (LOGI).