Sky has confirmed a number of changes to its Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) which will make it even easier for customers to discover and enjoy the best in pay television. Taking effect from the 1 st February 2011, the changes represent one of the biggest updates to the channel line up for over a decade, and include: a High Definition (HD) ‘channel swap' for Sky + HD subscribers; the relocation of a range of leading pay TV channels on Sky's EPG; and the launch of a major new channel.
The revised UK channel line-up will help make great TV - including the best of pay , in HD - even easier to find, which will deliver increased benefits to customers and broadcasters alike, in terms of channel accessibility and programme discovery.
The changes from the 1 st February 2011 include:
- For Sky + HD subscribers, 40 channels in Sky's HD pack will ‘swap' positions in the EPG with their Standard Definition (SD) counterparts. So, for example, HD subscribers will find Sky 1 HD at #106, with Sky 1 moving to #170. This change reflects the increasing demand from those customers to watch their favourite TV in HD. Those customers not subscribing to Sky + HD will be unaffected by this change.
- MTV, Comedy Central, Universal, Syfy and FX (and their associated HD simulcast channels*) will move to new, higher profile channel slots:
- Comedy Central /Comedy Central HD moves to 112 (currently 126).
- Universal / Universal HD moves to #113 (currently #130).
- Syfy / SyFy HD moves to #114 (currently #129).
- FX / FX HD moves to #124 (currently #164).
- MTV moves to #126 (currently #350) and reclassifies as a general entertainment
- Sky Atlantic a new channel devoted to some of the most hotly anticipated shows around, including the best of HBO, cult shows such as Mad Men and original UK commissions such as Paul Abbott's Hit and Miss , will launch at channel #108. Sky Atlantic HD will be available at #108 for Sky + HD subscribers.
- Living will rebrand as Sky Living and will move to channel #107, to sit between Sky 1 and Sky Atlantic. Again, for Sky + HD subscribers, Sky Living HD will be found at #107.
Rob Webster, Sky's Commercial Director, comments: "We want our customers to be able to discover and enjoy the content they are most passionate about. That's why we've worked with a range of partner channels to ensure that customers can find their favourite pay TV channels and programming as easily as possible. And with high definition viewing now demanded as standard, this has also meant swapping HD channels into the EPG numbers that our customers know best.
“The combination of high quality content, an intuitive, easy-to-use EPG, and innovative services like Sky + HD and Sky Anytime + , means our customers benefit from real choice, control and flexibility of viewing, whether linear or on-demand.”