- Fourteen new enterprise products help customers cut cost and complexity through simplified management, industry leading virtualisation and innovative design
- New Blades, Servers and Workstations set standards in performance, design and energy efficiency
- New enterprise-class storage hardware, software and services optimised for virtualised environments
- New software and services obliterate cost and complexity of IT management
BRACKNELL, United Kingdom 25 March 2009 - Answering the new economic challenges faced by customers large and small, Dell today debuted a breakthrough portfolio of products and services specifically designed to help businesses become more efficient throughout the IT lifecycle and maximise their most valuable resources: people, time and money. The combination of innovative software and services with next-generation storage and server products, offers customers technology solutions specifically designed to cut costs and increase efficiency.
"Datacenter operations require a holistic view to reduce overall operational costs, whether that is people, time or money over a technology lifecycle," said Michelle Bailey, VP of Enterprise Platforms and Data Center Trends at IDC. "Dell is focused on how it integrates and aligns the enterprise technologies across its product portfolio to help companies simplify and manage their organisations' IT infrastructure."
- The new 11th Generation PowerEdge servers and Precision workstations based on the next generation of Intel's Xeon processors give customers phenomenal performance, exceptional management capabilities and thermals that help customers make the most of their IT infrastructure.
- The new PowerEdge portfolio will offer optimal virtualisation, system management, and usability capabilities while Dell's PowerEdge R710 provides the industry's best performance per watt. Embedded in all new 11th Generation PowerEdge servers is the new Dell Lifecycle Controller that delivers integrated manageability through a single access point.
- Dell M-series blade architecture has 27 percent lower acquisition cost and delivers 17 percent lower TCO over 5 years per rack compared to HP c-Class.
- Dell ImageDirect Server simplifies transitions and image management for servers. Companies can now create and manage server images and have them factory-installed, eliminating time-consuming manual configuration, reducing deployment and IT staff time by up to 45 percent. Dell ImageDirect allows the rapid stabilisation of new servers with ready to deploy optimised configurations and a reduction of unwanted drift from desired configuration states at the time of deployment.
- The new Dell Precision T7500, T5500 and T3500 tower workstations provide one of the market's broadest set of ISV certifications and are purpose-built for engineering, media, entertainment and biosciences industries. Select configurations of the new workstations have achieved Energy Star 5.0 certification.
- Dell challenges HP's proprietary management framework with the introduction of Dell Management Console (DMC), a software solution powered by Altiris from Symantec, designed to unite systems management across IT environments into a single console. Dell's standards-based, open approach to manageability includes tight integration with world-class systems management solutions. A comparable solution from HP requires up to 9 consoles. DMC can reduce or eliminate manual systems management processes, allowing businesses to save time and money that can be redirected to more strategic technology use.
- Dell today also announced new EqualLogic PS6000 storage arrays that offer customers increased performance, advanced virtualisation capabilities and even greater value than previous generations. To help enterprises and organisations preserve and extend their existing investments, the PS6000 series integrates seamlessly into existing EqualLogic storage area networks (SANs) to form a virtualised pool of storage. Dell is unveiling SAN Headquarters, a centralised dashboard that monitors performance and events for dozens of PS Series groups, potentially more than 10 PB of SAN storage. SAN HeadQuarters is available to any EqualLogic customer with a support agreement at no additional cost.
- Data Center Consulting improves data center performance and reduces costs for customers- appreciably reducing data centre hardware costs through server virtualisation and storage/backup optimization. With tools and technology Dell delivers specific and measurable outcomes within days and weeks not months and years.
- New Systems Management Consulting and tools improve data center operations from server provisioning and maintenance, to availability monitoring and service-level management through asset retirement.
What this means for customers:
More than ever, Large Enterprise CIOs and IT Decision Makers are being challenged to cut their budgets yet continue to drive innovation. Dell's new portfolio of products and services cut cost and complexity in the datacenter through industry-leading virtualisation capabilities, embedded management and storage solutions that provide phenomenal performance and outstanding value.
In the realities of today's economic environment, Small and Medium Businesses need easy-to-manage and reliable IT solutions with exceptional value to stay productive and competitive. Designed for growing businesses, Dell's new portfolio of products and services can help customers easily and efficiently expand a growing business with reliable, easy to use, secure, and scalable solutions.
From education to healthcare and government, Public Sector customers are struggling with some common issues - keeping cost down while adhering to increasingly stringent security, compliance and environmental regulations. Dell's portfolio of open hardware and software products allows these customers to seamlessly and easily integrate technology from multiple vendors so they can better serve their constituencies while keeping costs down.
Patrick Pulvermueller, Managing Director at Host Europe GmbH
"With the new PowerEdge 11th Generation servers, we know we will be able to drive huge productivity gains in our business thanks to the virtualization-optimized features, which is especially important for our environment of more than 25,000 virtual machines. We can also reduce our operating costs significantly because of the efficiency offered and new Dell Management Console and Lifecycle Management tools."
Wahid Aziz, Product Manager, Webfusion
"The PowerEdge R710 server will help us reduce rack space, cut energy costs and improve performance."
Claus Moldt, vice president of technical operations, SalesForce.com:
"Dell is paving the way in architecting systems for our future data center needs. As a long time Dell PowerEdge customer, salesforce.com uses Dell's infrastructure to power over a hundred million transactions a day for our 1.5 million subscribers."
Stephen C. Hassell, vice president and chief information officer, Emerson (NYSE: EMR):
"One of Emerson's key business strategies is to deliver data center energy-efficiency solutions to our customers, and we also are extremely focused on ensuring that our own data centers are as operationally and energy efficient as possible. So when we began a consolidation of Emerson's data centers and planning for a new state-of-the-art center, we conducted an exhaustive search for next-generation blade servers that delivered both high performance, especially in a virtualized environment, and energy-efficiency gains. That is why we selected Dell's eleventh-generation PowerEdge blade servers."
Steve Schukenbrock, president, Dell Large Enterprise:
"Today's economic realities are placing a premium on value and efficiency from technology. Today we are unlocking customers from proprietary technology and services, and yesterday's IT economics. Whether through next generation blades with onboard systems management, or modular services, we're putting them on the path to today's Efficient Enterprise."
Brad Anderson, senior vice president, Dell Enterprise Product Group:
"The entire value proposition of business technology has changed. Businesses no longer have to choose between tackling growing compute demands and keeping costs low. Dell's new suite of servers, workstations, storage, software and services offers the whole package: powerful, efficient and affordable infrastructure products with simple tools to manage them without the need for costly services engagements."
Paul Bell, president, Dell Public:
"Customers in the public sector share a common mission - to serve the public. They need technology that enables them to better meet the needs of their students, patients and constituents. By leveraging the breakthrough technology in this suite of enterprise products, public customers can deliver first-class education, medical care and government services with fewer systems, reduced energy usage and less management complexity."
Intel, Kirk Skaugen, vice president and general manager, Server Platforms Group
"The technology industry is at another tipping point. The global economic environment is driving CIOs and IT decision makers to do more with less while, at the same time, advances in industry standards have made enterprise technology more affordable than ever before. Customers have a unique opportunity today to rethink their enterprise computing environments in order to emerge from the recession more competitive. Together, Dell and Intel are leveraging over two decades of leadership in standards-based innovation to help customers create the efficient enterprise."
Greg Hughes, group president, Enterprise Product Group, Symantec:
"Customers are looking for open infrastructure solutions that are simple to implement and manage and can grow with evolving business needs. Dell Management Console, powered by Altiris from Symantec, challenges the proprietary management frameworks from other vendors by integrating with Symantec's leading systems management solutions for single view of a customer's total IT environment."
Brian Byun, vice president of global alliances, VMware:
"VMware and Dell share a common mission to help businesses do more with less. We achieve that through the combination of Dell servers and storage with VMware's industry-leading virtualization solutions. Through our longstanding alliance with Dell, VMware is helping customers of all sizes across industries achieve an efficient, reliable, scalable and flexible infrastructure platform for delivery of IT as a service."
 Based on the SPECpower_ssj2008 benchmark tests performed in March performed by Dell Labs comparing leading vendors. SPEC and the benchmark name SPECpower_ssj are trademarks of the Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation.
 Based on Principled Technologies report "Total cost of ownership (TCO) of Dell, HP, and IBM blade solutions" commissioned by Dell in September 2008. TCO includes hardware, support, management software, IO virtualization, power, cooling, network ports, and data center space.
 Based on a study commissioned by Dell and conducted by Ptak, Noel & Associates L.L.C. in March 2008, "Does Dell Beat HP at IT Server Management Simplification."